A classic dungaree dress is an essential must have item for your fall capsule wardrobe. Challenge your refashion skills with this upcycle tutorial on how to make a DIY convertible dungaree dress from old corduroy pants.
From wine to khaki colors, corduroy is a fun fabric to wear and to mix up your late summer to early winter wardrobe. This DIY convertible dungaree dress from old corduroy pants is a fun refashion beginners sewing project that also includes a detachable drawstring bag.
If you found a pair of old corduroy pants from your closet or a local thrift store, you can easily upcycle this functional DIY convertible dungaree dress from old corduroy pants. Great news, this functional dungaree dress comes with a handy detachable drawstring bag!
It’s no brainer that dungarees are a 70’s geek chic trend that is coming back around. Sew your own DIY convertible dungaree dress from old corduroy pants so that you are ready for the definitive autumn trend.
Table of Contents
How To Wear A DIY Convertible Dungaree Dress With Detachable Drawstring Bag
Deciding what shoes to wear with a dungaree dress or even how to wear a dungaree dress in cold weather might be a bit challenging for many of us.
When determining how to wear your DIY convertible dungaree dress, here are the best dungaree styles to choose from. Have fun fashioning this classic wardrobe piece.
How To Wear A Dungaree Dress
Casual Look: Don’t be shy! Wear a striped oversized chunky knit or even a black mock neck knit top. Put your hair up in a cute topknot hairstyle to complete the look.
Work Wear: Pick a sleek black colored dungaree dress and pair with a crispy white button-down shirt underneath. In addition, tie your hair back in a slick low ponytail hairstyle to look professional.
Date Night Outfit: Wearing an off-the-shoulder cropped tee or camisole top underneath a faux leather dungaree dress, your date night outfit is hot and ready. Faux leather looks chic with a gold chain necklace, so dress to impress.
What Shoes To Wear With A Dungaree Dress
Casual Look: You can easily wear chunky sneakers or converse with any colored dungaree dress.
Work Wear: Black colored ballet flats, pumps or heels are all perfect shoes to wear with dungaree dress.
Date Night Outfit: For a sexy look, you can wear strappy heels. Furthermore, for a casual date night, you can pair your dungaree dress with a boots.
This multi-functional DIY convertible dungaree dress from old corduroys comes with detachable drawstring bag. You can easily unbutton the drawstring bag from the skirt when you have more to carry.
But how do you incorporate a drawstring bag well with your stylish outfits? Trust me, nobody wants to look like your coming straight from the gym.
How To Wear A Drawstring Bag
Casual Style: Pick any pastel stripes button-down shirt with white flat shoes to look simple and laid back style.
Work Wear: Wear a classic trench coat with a sleek faux leather drawstring bag on your casual Friday.
Date Night Outfit: With dark floral wrap dress or halter jumpsuit with tiny drawstring bag is date night ready outfit.
How To Make A DIY Convertible Dungaree Dress From Old Corduroy Pants
Recycle thrift shop clothes by transforming into a DIY convertible dungaree dress from old corduroy pants. The drawstring bag makes this refashion a two for one deal that you can easily mix and match with your wardrobe.
Grab you favorite colored corduroy pants and let’s get started!
- A Pair of Corduroy Pants
- 4 Pairs of Grommets
- 2 Pairs of Tack Button
- 2 Pairs of Snap Button
- Seam Ripper
- Fabric Chalk
- Measuring Tape
How To Make Dungaree Dress From Old Pants
- Start by using a seam ripper to remove the belt loops and all of the pockets.
- To convert pants into a dress, measure 17” down each leg from the waistline and mark with fabric chalk.
- Cut along the chalk mark to remove the extra fabric.
- The pants were a bit large for me, so I took in the side seam about 3/4” and cut out the fabric on both sides.
- Then, I had to create a new side seam, so I pinned to secure and then zig zag stitched to finish.
- Cut open the crotch seam and fold the skirt in half. With a ruler, draw a straight line from the back yoke seam to the hem, and another straight line from the end of the zipper to the hem.
- Sew zig zag stitch along the chalk mark.
- Clean up the edges and trim the extra fabric from the skirt seams.
- Grab one of the back pocket pieces to cover the front gap.
Pro tip: Make sure the corduroy directions are matching with the skirt pattern.
- Fold the edges 1/4” and pin to secure before sewing edge topstitch on the pocket piece.
- Even out the hemline by cutting a straight line.
Refashion DIY Drawstring Backpack
- To make a DIY drawstring bag, cut along the seam of the pants leg and remove the bulky seam.
- Then, fold the leg piece in half so that the height is about 11”.
- Measure 11 1/2” across the fold and mark with fabric chalk. Pin along the chalk mark and cut the excess material.
- Next, sew both sides and finish with zig zag stitch.
- Flip the bag right side out and make a 1” wide tunnel around the bag opening.
- Make 2 pieces of 3 1/2” by 2” straps. Fold all sides 1/4” and then fold in half lengthwise. Pin to secure and edge topstitch all around both strap pieces.
- Topstitch diagonal across both bottom corners of the bag and then add a grommet to each.
- In addition, insert a grommet on both strap pieces for the bag.
- Attach the strap pieces on the top of the bag. And add belt loops to help close the bag.
- To make the drawstring for the bag, I recycled the extra inseam from the pant leg. Using a safety pin guide the drawstring through the tunnel.
DIY Convertible Dungaree Dress Tutorial
- To make the shoulder straps, cut out 6 pieces of 1 1/2” wide straps from the pant leg.
- Lay the wrong side of 2 straps on top of each other and fold 1/4” on both sides. Pin to secure and edge top stitch both sides.
- Slide a finished shoulder strap through the grommet and make a knot.
- To make a convertible dungaree dress, hand sew small snap buttons onto 2 belt loops.
- Attach one end of the belt loop inside of the waistline of the skirt.
- Slide the belt loop through the bottom grommet of the drawstring bag and secure with the snap button.
- Attach 2 tack buttons to the back waistband and measure the shoulder strap to fit.
- Double fold the hem 1/2” and finish with topstitch and complete this DIY convertible dungaree dress tutorial.
Learn how to make this DIY convertible dungaree dress from old corduroy pants. You can easily upgrade your fall capsule wardrobe.
Wear your DIY convertible dungaree dress from old corduroy pants to festivals, to grab cup of your favorite coffee and also run errands during the day.
Use the front piece as pocket to carry your phone or cards or even convert it into drawstring bag to carry more gadgets you need throughout the day.