Are you about to throw away your plain old t-shirt? Keep your capsule wardrobe updated and trendy with these easy 5 minute DIY no sew t-shirt refashion ideas.
If you are looking for more inspiration to complete your capsule wardrobe with DIY no sew t-shirt refashion, you’re in the right place! If you’re looking for even more DIY clothes ideas, check out my other refashion and embroidery projects
It’s not too late to keep your old t-shirt and transform it into an up to date trend. Upcycle your old cloths so that you can wear new outfits to work, travel and also on the weekends.
Table of Contents
5 Minute DIY No Sew T-shirt Refashion
For these 5 minute DIY no sew t-shirt refashion projects, we’re going to start with a few of your old t-shirts. In this refashion project, I used 4 different colors, shapes and styles.
- black boxy t-shirt
- pastel pink crop t-shirt
- white slim fitted t-shirt
- black oversized t-shirt
You can always change it up with a variety of different materials, necklines and colors. Feel inspired to accomplish these 5 minute DIY no sew t-shirt refashion projects as you wish.
Let’s get started with these easy and fun ways to cut a shirt!
DIY No Sew T-shirt Refashion into Peplum Top
Create your own unique no sew alterations using fun ways to cut a shirt. It’s easy to do, just follow the simple steps below and use the video as reference.
You can always play around with the length of this DIY no sew t-shirt refashion. Make it little bit longer or shorter if you wish.
And of course, you can choose different lace tape trim and patterns to create a variety of different styles and looks.
When washing your garment, use these lace cleaning tips to keep your lace looking like new!
No Sew Peplum Top Materials:
- 2 1/2” width Lace Tape Trim
- 3/4” width Elastic Band
- Fabric Glue
- Measure Tape
- Fabric Chalk
I recommend a boxy t-shirt style because in this no sew tutorial you will be adding elastic on the waistline.
For this lace trim peplum DIY no sew t-shirt refashion, I chose a boxy black t-shirt that is 55% cotton and 45% modal. If you have something similar that is great, but if you don’t, a 100% cotton t-shirt will work as well.
Lace Trim Peplum T-shirt
- First, measure the length of your t-shirt from top to bottom.Your waistline is around 17” from the neckline opening, so you will mark a dotted line across the t-shirt at this point. Cut the entire shirt along the dotted line.
Measuring Tip: Start measuring from the seam where neckband is.
- Measure the new waistline and multiply it by 2. Mine is 18”, so my conversion factor is 36” total.
- Next, you want to measure and cut your lace trim.Since I made a double lace layer in this tutorial, I cut 2 separate 36” pieces of lace. When you cut, give 1/4” extra room on each because you will glue the lace pieces together to attach them to the waistline.
- Now that you have 2 separate lace tape trims, you want to attach them together with fabric glue by overlapping the lace together about 3/4” to 1”. Make sure you let them dry completely before you touch them. Not all glue is created equal, so read the glue instructions carefully.
- How to attach the elastic waistband: I made my band length 27” so that it gives me a relaxed balloon silhouette shape when I wear it. I recommend that you measure around your own belly button and add 2”-3” to create your own elastic waistband measurement.
- Before cutting, give 1/4” extra length because we are overlapping the elastic in order to glue it together. Pro Tip: Make sure the elastic is completely dried before you attach to the t-shirt.
- Let’s flip our t-shirt inside out for the next step! Slip the elastic around the t-shirt towards the bottom hemline. Next, glue around the hemline about 1/4” from the bottom edge of the t-shirt. Then, wrap the elastic with the t-shirt hem. Make sure the fabric is glued properly around the t-shirt. This step takes a little time and patience to finish cleanly.
- How to attach the lace: You will notice that the t-shirt has a smaller opening because you have now attached the elastic. So when you glue the lace, I recommend also stretching out the t-shirt to properly glue all around the edge. Be patient and work on a small part at a time to completely let it dry.
Pro Tip: I recommend gluing just above the elastic and not on the elastic itself. The lace will also hold together better on the t-shirt rather than the elastic itself.
No Sew T-shirt Alterations
This is an easy no sew DIY fashion upgrade. DIY no sew t-shirt reconstruction is simple and enjoyable to do! Enjoy fun ways to cut a shirt and add it to your capsule wardrobe collection!
No Sew Sleeve Tie Materials:
- T-shirt (I recommend using a t-shirt that is cropped length with bigger sleeves)
- Fabric Glue
- 3/4” Black Grosgrain Tape
For this no sew t-shirt alteration, I chose a pastel pink crop t-shirt. It has large, wide sleeves that I think will work perfect for this style.
I recommend using a 100% cotton t-shirt because it will work really well for this no sew t-shirt alteration sleeve structure.
Sleeve Tie T-shirt
- First, flip your t-shirt inside out and lay your sleeve flat along the shoulder seam.
- Next, you will be cutting from the sleeve end to shoulder seam.
- Flatten out the sleeve that you just cut, and also grab the 3/4” black grosgrain tape.
- Measure the black grosgrain tape and cut two separate 38” length pieces, one for each sleeve.
- Glue along the sleeve about 1/8” from the edge. Then, fold the glue side over to wrap the black tape. Make sure the edge is completely glued and dried.
- Glue and attach the tape to the other sleeve as well.
- Try them on and adjust the sleeve by tying a bow with the tape to make it tighter to your arm!
No Sew Fun Ways To Cut A Shirt
Off shoulder is a super trendy style and definitely part of my essential wardrobe collection.
You might already know this, but 5 minute DIY no sew t-shirt refashion is actually not difficult to do. You only need your favorite t-shirt and a pair of scissors.
No sew DIY fashion hacks provide fun ways to cut a shirt to create your own personal unique style! Have fun and enjoy the no sew t-shirt alteration process; it’s only a t-shirt!
No Sew Off The Shoulder Materials:
- T-shirt (I recommend tight ribbed material t-shirt)
- Fabric Chalk
- Measuring Tape
For this no sew off the shoulder t-shirt, I used a white skin tight top that I love wearing with high waist denim jeans. Totally gives an upgraded flare to my capsule wardrobe with simple, no sew DIY fashion hacks.
I used a 100% cotton ribbed t-shirt and recommend a ribbed t-shirt for this no sew t-shirt alteration style because it will snug on your shoulders and sleeves naturally.
I enjoy 5 minute DIY no sew t-shirt refashion because it adds flare to my capsule wardrobe collection and also I love to say I made it myself!
No sew off the shoulder t-shirt alterations is one of the easiest and most fun ways to cut a shirt.
DIY No Sew Off the Shoulder T-shirt
- Lay the t-shirt flat on the table. You will be cutting through the entire shirt, so make sure the front and back are laid out perfectly flat.
- Next, measure from the shoulder seam along the sleeve 1 1/2” down and mark with chalk. Again, measure on the other side sleeve 1 1/2” and mark with chalk. Then, connect the two chalk marks with a smooth arching chalk line.
- Lastly, use your scissors and cut along the line to create your no sew off the shoulder t-shirt.
I love this no sew off the shoulder t-shirt so much because it looks feminine and I can wear it anytime with jeans.
You can turn any of your favorite tops into this off the shoulder t-shirt with this no sew t-shirt alterations technique. Just make sure the shirt is skin tight and ribbed cotton material.
Are you ready to give it a try and make your own DIY no sew t-shirt reconstruction?
No Sew T-shirt to Tank Top
I love yoga and going hiking. It is my number one favorite thing to do that I can’t live without. That’s why I needed to make a no sew t-shirt to tank top inspired by Anthropologie.
I wanted to transform an oversized t-shirt into a yoga, workout friendly tank top using a t-shirt that was 55% cotton and 45% modal for this DIY no sew t-shirt reconstruction.
No Sew Back Slit Tie Materials:
- T-shirt (I recommend using an oversized t-shirt with a wide neckline)
- Fabric Glue
- Measuring Tape
- Fabric Chalk
I recommend using an oversized t-shirt that has modal ingredients because it will be light and keep you airy during your workout. This is an easy no sew t-shirt to tank top to keep your workout gear looking stylish.
Back Slit Tie Tank Top
- First of all, measure 1” down under the sleeve and mark with chalk. In addition, measure 1/2” along the shoulder seam and again mark with chalk
- Next, draw the new armhole with fabric chalk. I recommend drawing a smooth curve following the sleeve line.
- Then, cut along the chalk line to make the new arm holes.
- Now, lay the sleeveless shirt flat and fold the shirt in half
- When cutting make sure you only cut through the back piece and not the front piece.
- From the back center neckline, measure 1” across and glue. Then, overlap with the back piece and secure it in place.
- When the glue is completely dried, try on your DIY no sew t-shirt refashion and tie a bow in the back.
I made this tank top with back overlap because it will hold the gap open a little bit, and not completely open when in motion. This is so cute during a workout, after yoga or even while going for a hike.
Hope you enjoyed these fun ways to cut a shirt and simple 5 minute DIY no sew t-shirt refashion techniques!
If you love my tutorial on no sew alterations and also want to see more essential DIY fashion tips and hacks, subscribe for more videos!
What is your favorite 5 minute DIY no sew t-shirt refashion project from this tutorial?
Share your cute DIY no sew t-shirt refashion ideas with me on Instagram at #MakeWithFashionWanderer.