Refashion and upcycle clothing has become a hot new trend this year. Refashion denim jeans into a polka dot skirt and take part in saving the environment.
Did you know that it takes more than 5,000 gallons of water to manufacture a pair of jeans?
From the dye to the chemicals that are used for washing and treating your favorite jeans, it’s hard to imagine but around 2.5 million pairs of jeans are made per day.
No wonder, the fashion industry is the second largest source of pollution in the world, its especially noticeable since the environmental cost of making jeans is sky rocketing.
The good news is we all can take steps to change and make a difference.
If you have any color of old skinny jeans, boyfriend jeans or cropped jeans, stop throwing them away. Denim fabric is so durable and strong that you can easily refashion denim jeans into a polka dot skirt for your capsule wardrobe.
This upcycle tutorial covers how to turn jeans into a skirt and also how to paint polka dots on fabric. I had a blast making doing this project and it is actually not that hard at all!
The best part of all is that you will also save the environment while you are recreating your capsule wardrobe.
Follow this simple step-by-step sewing tutorial for a really fun way to make denim skirt. Turn your refashion denim jeans into a polka dot skirt today.
Table of Contents
What to Wear With A Black and White Polka Dot Skirt
A classic polka dot skirt has been known as an essential item for the spring season. But with the current runway trends, we will definitely see this timeless fashion style everywhere and at anytime this year.
- Red chunky oversized sweater on a lazy weekend: The feminine style of the black and white polka dots will tone down the overall appearance and also give you balanced chic look.
- Colored cardigan or blazer for work: Black and white polka dot skirt might seem too casual for work attire, but you can easily pull off this look by throwing on a boyfriend cardigan or a blush colored blazer.
- All white with a white silk blouse as a date night outfit: You can always wear a chic white blouse with your black and white polka dot skirt as a fun date night outfit.
- Blush colored lace top: From casual Friday to girls’ night out, this style covers it all.
What Colors Go With Black and White Polka Dots
- Go with black or white: If you want a chic and modern look, keep your outfit color palette black and white like a monochromatic photo.
- Stay neutral: Because a black and white polka dots pattern is so bold, you can easily wear neutral shade colors such as beige, cream, gray or charcoal to look relaxed and informal.
- Play with bold bright colors: Have fun with hot pink, tangerine, lime, and lemon yellow to pair with your black and white polka dots skirt. It will instantly give personality to your look.
- Try pastel colors: You can always wear colors, if you are not into bold colors. Softer pastel colors will look more relaxed and give off a lighter feel. Pair with baby pink, sky blue, lavender, or peach colors.
- Old Jeans
- 3”x 2” Diamond Shaped Stencil Paper
- Black Acrylic Paint
- Sewing Machine
- Measuring Tape
- Straight Pins
- For this jeans into a skirt tutorial, I want to make my skirt length slightly touching the knees, so my measurement is 21”. You can make it shorter if you want.
- Fold your favorite white jeans in half. Then measure 21” down from top of the waistband, and mark with a pencil.
- Use a ruler to completely mark across the leg part of the jeans.
- The point of no return for how to turn jeans into a skirt. Cut along the pencil dotted mark for both legs.
- In addition, cut the crotch seam with your scissors.
Then, cut the center front seam until the zipper opening.
- Fold the extra fabric inside and overlap each other to make a straight line. Pin along the folded center front.
- Now turn over to work on the backside.Using your seam ripper, open the center back seam of the pants all the way to the waistband. If there is center belt loop, you can also rip for now, and sew it back later.
- Fold the pants in half so that both sides are facing each other.
- Lay the back flat and pin in a straight line. Cut off any extra crotch piece.
- Sew along the pins on the back center seam about ½”. Sew an edge topstitch on the folded front center.
How To Decorate Jeans With Polka Dots
- I made this 3”x 2” diamond shape piece of paper stencil to mark dots on the skirt. This really helped me evenly distribute polka dots around the skirt.
- To make the first line of dots, position the diamond paper just under the button. Use the stencil and a pencil to mark the polka dot positions on the front and back of the skirt. Don’t worry about being too exact.
- I used the eraser of the pencil and black acrylic paint, to make the polka dots. You can always re-stamp the black dots over again if the polka dot was to light the first time.
Be careful since we are using black paint on white fabric. You don’t want to touch them until they are fully dried.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you ever turned denim jeans into a polka dot skirt?
Share your cute polka dot skirt outfit ideas with us!