How do you wash clothes when traveling? It’s not easy to keep your capsule wardrobe pieces clean and fresh while traveling on a vacation. To make the process easier, pack travel laundry essentials so that you are prepared to freshen up your favorite wardrobe basics.
Doing laundry while traveling is extremely challenging, especially during the summer time or while traveling internationally. Even when knowing how to use a washing machine and clothes dryer properly, the chore is still necessary.
When you are traveling and on-the-go, it is important to have travel laundry essentials along with a few useful tips to get the job done right. Spending extra on the hotel laundry service is a luxury, but in the end the cost adds up quickly.
Occasionally there is a concern about pieces that require dry cleaning. With these travel laundry essentials, reduce the risk and learn practical laundry tips to hand wash clothes and maintain your favorite capsule wardrobe pieces.
Table of Contents
Best Travel Laundry Essentials
Whether you are traveling overseas or visiting a neighboring region, it is always important to pack light with the best toiletry bag and cute outfit ideas. In addition, packing travel laundry essentials is a great way to keep your clothes clean and fresh all the time.
You never know when an accident may happen and you need to freshen up the suit that you brought for a business trip. Travel laundry essentials ensure that you are always prepared. Having fresh and clean clothes to wear at all times is important.
How do you keep your clothes from smelling dirty?
It seems like it’s impossible to keep clothes clean without washing. However, making your clothes smell good instantly is possible. The great news is that these cleaning hacks don’t require washing or drying clothes. With a few basic travel laundry essentials and clothing cleaning tips, you will keep your favorite clothes from smelling dirty.
Simply use homemade laundry detergent or fabric freshener sprays to eliminate odors. These detergent recipes won’t damage the fabric or materials of your favorite capsule wardrobe pieces.
Workout clothes require special care while traveling, follow these guaranteed hacks for how to wash leggings to help keep the skinny under control. Make sure your sweaty gym outfits stay fresh throughout the entire trip.
How do you remove static from clothes while traveling?
Easily learn how to remove static from clothes while traveling. Avoid quick fixes like applying lotion or sprinkling water over your garments, because those do not address the initial problem.
The truth is that static starts happening in late-fall, and occurs throughout the winter season. Generally not during the spring and summer months.
Layering clothing pieces is the key to a stylish winter capsule wardrobe. Cotton and leather are 2 fabrics that don’t create static in the wintertime.
Cotton materials in denim, blouses, button-down shirts, and cotton-blend sweaters won’t have any problems with static cling. But fur, polyester, silk, rayon and wool cause a lot more static than any other types of material.
Static cling is caused by 2 pieces of fabric rubbing against each other, which generally occurs in the dryer or on the body. Positive and negative charged fabrics attract each other, which is more noticeable in dry conditions.
The best way to remove static from clothes while traveling is to use a specialized anti-static keychain. This functional keychain is a basic travel laundry essentials that fits perfectly into your pocket or travel bag.
- Dimensions are 9.4” H x 5.1” W x 1.2” D and weighs 3.2 oz.
- Discharges the static efficiently.
- Removes static cling from clothing.
- Doesn’t work well on extremely large static charges.
Eliminate static discharges from your clothing. Use this anti-static keychain to remove static from you clothing while traveling. Buy it here!
How do you wash clothes when traveling?
Hand washing clothes is actually easier than many people think. The best way to wash clothes when traveling is to use the hotel sink to create a basin or tub to soak the clothing. With a few travel laundry essentials, you will always have fresh and clean clothes when traveling.
Not all fabrics are washed in the same way. Check the care label inside to make sure if it’s ok to rub or wring the fabric material.
Before you start, make sure to sort the laundry by color and fabrication to avoid any shrinkage or color bleeding by accident. In addition, pretreat any stains before individually hand washing the clothes when traveling.
First, plug the drain and fill up the sink with warm water. Then, soak the clothes for a few minutes. Drain and rinse if the water is too dirty.
Add the travel laundry detergent and hand wash each item.
Next, soak the clothes for a few more minutes, and then drain the water. Rinse the clothes with fresh water to completely remove all of the travel laundry detergent.
Finally, wring or squeeze out the excess water, or even roll the garments with a towel before you hang to air dry.
This simple process takes less than 15 minutes and is perfect to do before or during a shower.
Travel Laundry Kit
Not all clothes are cleaned with travel sized laundry detergents. This travel laundry kit is filled with travel laundry essentials to help make life easier while away from home.
From a travel laundry bag to natural ingredient travel laundry detergents and clothing fresheners, everything you need to clean clothes is in this travel laundry kit.
- Included 2 oz Fabric Fresh, 2 oz Delicate Wash, 2 oz Crease Release spray, 2 oz Stain Solution, 1 laundry bag, and a clear vinyl pouch with zipper.
- Plant-based natural ingredients.
- Suitable for machine and hand washing in all temperatures.
- Doesn’t work well on wool or cashmere clothing.
Remove business dinner stains, wash your favorite silk camisole and also have wrinkle-free clothing when traveling. With this travel laundry kit, you won’t need hotel laundry services anymore! Buy it here!
It seems impossible to keep your outfits crisp and wrinkle-free while traveling on any type of trip. Simply pack this travel iron so you are able to press your clothes to make them wrinkle free. In addition, it includes a steam function to help release those really deep wrinkles .
- Dimensions are 3.1” H x 2.9” W x 5.3” D and weighs 0.96 lbs.
- Water tank for steam heats up in 15 seconds.
- 1 touch steam control with 3 different temperature settings for a variety of fabric types.
- Handle gets very warm.
- Tips over easily when standing up.
Don’t forget to pack this travel iron so that you stay wrinkle-free and look your best all the time while traveling. Buy it here!
This travel steamer is a necessary travel laundry essentials. It helps to freshen clothes and makes them wrinkle-free. Pack this travel steamer to be sure that you look fresh and clean wherever you travel to next.
- Dimensions are 12.9” H x 5.5” W x 4.7” D and weighs 2.19 lbs.
- Dual steam setting for use on a variety of fabrics
- Compact size
- Heats up quickly
- Water tank is small
Be sure to pack this travel steamer to freshen up your clothing and stay wrinkle-free. This travel steamer is perfect to make sure that you always look professional all the time while traveling for work. Buy it here!
Travel Laundry Bag
Don’t you hate when fresh new clothes are mixed with dirty laundry while traveling? With limited space in the luggage, travel laundry essentials come in handy to help you organize your clothing. Keep dirty and clean clothes separate with a travel laundry bag and also a well-organized system.
How do you pack dirty clothes when traveling?
According to recent surveys, more than 35% of travelers use a plastic bag or several plastic bags to pack dirty clothes when traveling. This is because they are cheap, convenient and also easy to use.
But the problem with a plastic bag is that they are not environmentally friendly. In addition, they are really bad for a variety of fabrics and actually harm fibers because they easily trap moisture. As a result, odor causing bacteria sets into the clothes and is hard to remove.
Furthermore, most plastic bags contain BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene), which reacts with moisture and will create a yellow stain on the garments.
In order to pack dirty clothes safely and take good care of your clothes, use a travel laundry bag that fits your suitcase size.
Suitcase Laundry Bag
Separating your dirty laundry while traveling is the best way to save time to sort clothes when you get home. This suitcase laundry bag is the perfect way to organize your luggage and protect any delicate clothing items.
- Includes 1 piece of 24” 24″ extra large bag, 2 pieces of 20” x 16” large bags, and 2 pieces of 15” x 12” medium bags.
- Made with washable polyester fabrics.
- Easy and quick access for security check at the airport.
- Doesn’t work well in a high-temperature dryer.
Organize your dirty clothes with the travel laundry essentials. Use this suitcase laundry bag and simply throw clothing in the washer. More than 2,500 customers voted for the construction design, material quality and lasting durability. Buy it here!
Miamica Travel Laundry Bag
Miamica travel laundry bag is the perfect compact size for a solo traveler. Keep your dirty laundry separate from clean clothes while traveling. It’s a lightweight and expandable accessory that doesn’t take much space in your luggage.
- Dimensions are 6.3” L x 6.2” W when folded and 21” L x 22” W when open.
- Made with microfiber machine washable material.
- Tear and moisture-resistant.
- Drawstring closure to secure.
- A bit hard to close back up again.
- The drawstring is not for carrying a full bag.
The personalized style Miamica travel laundry bag is for any fashion it girl. Stay fresh and stylish everywhere you go with the best travel laundry essentials. Buy it here!
Walmart Travel Laundry Bag
When using a mesh laundry bag for travel, you might worry that the smell will transfer to your fresh clean clothes. If you have been experiencing this problem, then switch to the Walmart travel laundry bag.
- Dimensions are 24” x 13”
- Treated with sanitized anti-microbial hygiene feature.
- Protects delicate clothes in order to wash separately.
- The mesh bag might come unzipped in the wash or in the dryer.
Keep your dirty clothes smelling good while traveling even without washing them. Store dirty laundry in this Walmart travel laundry bag. Buy it here!
Flight 001 Laundry Bag
When you are shopping for a travel laundry bag, make sure to choose one that is made with water-resistant material. This Flight 001 laundry bag keeps your dirty laundry dry and also avoids trapping any moisture that will cause odor and bacteria.
- Dimensions are 12.5” x 0.5” x 9” and weighs 6.4 ounces.
- Made with heavyweight water-resistant nylon material.
- Include 1 laundry bag, 2 shoe bags, and 1 stuff bag.
- This set doesn’t come with a workout or lingerie laundry bag.
Enjoy your vacation with clean clothes by using the best travel laundry essentials. Organize dirty laundry to keep your capsule wardrobe pieces fresh and clean the entire trip. Buy it here!
Compression Laundry Bag
Do you know you are able to save at least 75% of the space in luggage by using a compression laundry bag? These bags do not need an additional pump to use. They safety reduce odor, prevent mildew and eliminate bugs. It’s the best way to keep your dirty laundry away from clean clothes and also use less space in your suitcase.
- Include 5 pieces of 24” x 16” medium bags and 5 pieces of 28” x 20” large bags.
- Reusable, durable, and reliable sealing feature.
- Perfect size for travel.
- Hard to get the air out.
The compression method is not only for storing off-season wardrobe items. It is also perfect for packing your clean and dirty clothes while traveling. This compression laundry bag fits well in any luggage and helps to pack more of your favorite clothes. Buy it now!
Cute Travel Laundry Bag
Looking at the dull dark colored laundry bags isn’t attractive and also doesn’t go well with your chic luggage. Showcase your wanderlust with this cute travel laundry bag. This world map helps you to feel good about cleaning up after a fun vacation.
- Dimensions are 16” x 22” when opened and 6.3” x 5” when folded.
- Made with machine washable polyester material.
- Max weight capacity is 6.6 lbs.
- Built-in pouch to make a compact size that is easy to carry.
- Bag only fits 2~3 days of dirty clothes for travel.
It’s not fun to deal with dirty laundry after a fun vacation. Simply toss this cute travel laundry bag into the washer and let it do the cleaning for you. Buy it here!
Travel Laundry Detergent
Unfortunately, you can’t pack full sized machine wash laundry detergent when traveling. To do laundry while traveling requires more hand washing and specific stain treatments than when at home.
As a result, carry the proper travel laundry detergent to clean your capsule wardrobe essentials. Keep them looking new and prevent any damage by using the best travel laundry essentials.
What can you substitute for laundry detergent?
Packing for travel requires lots of things to bring. You might have experienced totally forgetting to bring travel laundry essentials to wash certain stains from your favorite blouse.
There are many more options to substitute for laundry detergent at home than while traveling. The best way is to use a shampoo that is not for colored or special treatment hair. In addition, be sure that it is not mixed with any type of conditioner.
Travel Laundry Detergent Sheets
If you are not into carrying liquid detergent, use travel laundry detergent sheets. With pre-measured detergent amounts, easily wash your capsule wardrobe essentials and remove stains or odors.
- Dimensions are 8.2” x 9.2” 2.5” and weighs 13.1 ounces.
- Includes 4 safe ingredients such as baking soda, coconut, papaya, and aroma oil.
- Long lasting lemon and lavender scent.
- Perfect for sensitive skin.
- In order to dissolve well in water, need to cut into smaller pieces for laundry in the sink while traveling.
With sensitive skin, the process of choosing a laundry detergent is more careful than ever. These travel laundry detergent sheets have a slight natural fragrance that won’t harm your sensitive skin. Instead, these travel laundry essentials keep your clothes fresh and clean for when you need them. Buy it here!
Travel Laundry Detergent Powder
Are you taking the risk to pack your home powered laundry detergent into a small ziplock bag to travel? If you are a frequent traveler, instead of making your own pouch, use these individually wrapped travel sized powder laundry detergent.
- Includes 200 bags of individually wrapped travel laundry detergent powder.
- Has a strong cleaning capacity to wash away stains easily.
- Made with recyclable packages.
- For individual hand washing, this package is not pre-measured.
Finding the proper types of travel laundry detergent is based on the specific type of garment. Make sure to check the care label in order to determine cold or hot water when hand washing. Buy it here!
Forever New Powder
If you have been making your own nontoxic homemade laundry detergent recipes, it is hard to buy commercial detergents for your travel laundry essentials. This Forever New powder does not contain any chlorine or bleach to harm your capsule wardrobe pieces.
- Dimensions are 4.3” x 2.8” x 1.6” and weighs 6.4 ounces.
- Contains 16 1/3-oz packages.
- Biodegradable and environmentally safe.
- Doesn’t leave any soap residue on the garments that will cause damage to the fabric.
- Needs to be packed into the checked luggage.
The best way to wash clothes while traveling is using the sink and travel laundry detergent powder. These travel laundry essentials dissolve more quickly in water than liquid detergent does. Buy it here!
Travel Laundry Detergent Packets
When shopping for laundry detergent for travel, to get the best deal look for packets. These single-load travel laundry detergent packets are safe to use while hand washing, and also work well in machine wash too.
- Includes 10 1-ounce Xela-packed detergent packets.
- Made from soap berries.
- No added chemicals or fragrances.
- This travel laundry detergent does not contain fabric softener.
Whether you are backpacking or camping, these travel laundry detergent packets are perfect to bring along. If you are using the sink-washing method, use an individual packet with 3 items and rinse well when done. Buy it here!
Woolite Travel Packets
Washing denim and cotton t-shirts while traveling is not easy. But this Woolite travel packets are sufficient for multiple washes and won’t shrink, stretch or fade colors on clothing.
- Dimensions are 12” x 2” x 4” and weighs 4.8 ounces.
- TSA compliant for carry-on.
- Work on most fabrics such as wool, silk, linen, and more.
- On heavily soiled clothes, it requires 3~4 washes and multiple detergent packets.
It’s not easy to take care of a variety of different fabric clothing while traveling. From sweaters to denim jeans, easily wash and enjoy clean clothes everyday with this Woolite travel packets. Buy it here!
Tide Travel Sink Packets
Tide travel sink packets are perfect for cleaning clothes while you travel. Simply carry a few large ziplock bags with you. Add water and a Tide travel sink packet with dirty laundry in it and seal the bag. Shake the bag to clean the clothes and rinse the same way.
- Dimensions are 2.9” x 0.6” x 4.1” and weighs 0.32 ounces.
- 1 packet will wash up to 11 clothing items.
- Works on workout wear and swimsuits as well.
- The amount in one packet is a bit too much for a single sink wash.
If you plan to use this Tide travel sink packets, make sure to also pack a sink stopper in order to wash your clothes easily. Buy it here!
Best Travel Laundry Soap
Are you looking for a hand wash laundry detergent for travel that really works? Travelon laundry soap sheets are the best travel laundry soap available.
- Dimensions are 6” x 5” x 4” and weighs 1.28 ounces.
- 500 biodegradable sheets
- TSA complaint guidelines.
- Quickly dissolves in water.
- Never remove sheets from the container with a wet hand.
When hand washing clothes in a sink, it’s best to have a travel laundry detergent that dissolves in water quickly. This makes it easier to proceed with the cleaning process. Use the best travel laundry soap because it won’t let you down. Buy it here!
Travel Laundry Soap Bar
Carrying a bar of soap is definitely not travel-friendly. Especially when the soap gets wet and starts melting, because if you are not careful it is a headache to clean up. But this travel laundry soap bar will wash and remove stains at the same time, and also won’t cause any problem when traveling.
- Dimensions are 1” x 1.5” x 2” and weighs 1.6 ounces.
- Made with vegetable soap, borax, and essential oils.
- Free of petroleum, phosphate, phthalates, and artificial color.
- Biodegradable and allergen-free.
- Pricey compared to the tiny size of the soap bar.
If you have been using a lot of spray bottle stain removers, switch to this travel laundry soap bar. This travel laundry essentials work well on everything from dress shirts to swimsuits that have been discolored by sunblock. Buy it here!
Trek And Travel Laundry Wash
Attention outdoor backpackers and international travelers, all you need is this Trek and Travel laundry wash from Sea to Summit. It’s much lighter than the liquid soap so it helps you to maintain a lightweight pack.
- Dimensions are 3” x 2” x 1” and weighs 4.8 ounces.
- Free from Phosphate and Paraben.
- Light green tea fragrance.
- TSA carry-on compliant.
- Contains 50 soap leaves in each pack.
- In order to wash heavy dirty clothes, need to use more than one sheet.
Quickly wash you wardrobe essentials with these travel laundry essentials. Trek and Travel laundry wash is the perfect item for every traveler and backpacker to easily rinse sweat, sunscreen, and dirt from clothing. Buy it here!
Travel Clothing Line
Remove stains and odor by quickly washing your capsule wardrobe with these travel laundry essentials. Solve the laundry problem with a few simple tools and hand washing techniques.
Enjoy fresh and clean clothes no matter where you travel to next. From travel laundry detergent packets to a travel clothing line, let these travel laundry essentials help you have clean clothes every time.
How do you dry clothes when traveling?
Bringing along a travel clothing line is helpful, but there are other tricks to dry clothes quickly when traveling.
Depending on where you stay the night, after hand washing each garment, the first thing you need to do is remove excess water with a towel. Simply wrap the wet clothes in a quick drying towel. Then, roll it up like a burrito and stomp to pat it dry.
Doing this step beforehand will help your clothing to quickly dry when hanging overnight on a travel clothing line.
Suction Cup Clothesline
Whether you are camping, traveling abroad or backpacking in Europe, this suction cup clothesline will reduce clothing drying time in half. The triple-braid feature helps you to hang clothes between the cords, so there is no need to pack clothespins for the trip.
- Dimensions 11” x 7” x 3” and weighs 3.2 ounces.
- Cord stretches up to 66” long.
- Include nylon storage pouch, suction cups, and a carabiner.
- Lightweight and portable for use in a hotel, camping or a cruise.
- The line will support up to 4 clothing items, but suction cups are not strong enough to hold heavy items.
Simply hanging wet clothes in the shower might take more than a day to dry. Invest $7 on this suction cup clothesline to save you clothing drying time while traveling. Buy it here!
Sea To Summit Lite Line Clothesline
Hanging wet socks on a tree or over the tent is not the best way to dry your clothes while camping. This Sea to Summit lite line clothesline is secure enough to hold clothes even during a windy night, and also works well indoors too.
- Clothesline measures more than 11’6.
- Compact storage to organize and protect the line while traveling.
- Easy to setup with the loop cinching features.
- The 10 beads that come with this clothesline are not enough to hang more clothes.
Whether you are traveling or backpacking, this Sea to Summit Lite line clothesline is perfect for both short and long trips. If you intend to wash more clothing at one time, make sure to bring extra small binder clips. Buy it here!
Flexo-Line Travel Clothesline
Have you ever experienced using a clothesline and your delicate items got snagged? Many of the travel clotheslines use the braid feature to hang, which potentially damages some of the delicate clothing. The great news is that this Flexo-Line travel clothesline will not snag delicate fabrics compared to other similar products.
- Dimensions are 5” x 3” x 1” and weighs 0.96 ounces.
- Stretches up to 8 feet long.
- Holds up to 12 pounds of wet garments.
- No clothespins needed.
- Strong gripping strength.
- Clothesline for travel let you pack fewer clothing items.
Protect your delicate capsule wardrobe essentials with this Flexo-Line travel clothesline on your next adventure. Buy it here!
Travel Laundry Hanger
Are you mixing and matching seasonal capsule wardrobe pieces for your next travel destination? There are never enough hangers to hang clothes in a hotel closet. These travel laundry hangers are foldable and lightweight. They make your wardrobe wrinkle-free throughout the entire trip.
- Dimensions are 5.3” x 2.96” when folded and 16.5” x 7.09” when unfolded.
- Made with premium quality ABS plastic and stainless steel screws to resist water.
- Contains 6 pieces in one package.
- Anti-skid design feature to hold the clothes firmly.
- Doesn’t work for heavy coats.
Whether you are traveling with someone or not, there are never enough hangers in a hotel room or on a cruise ship. Stop fighting for the last hanger and use these compact travel laundry hanger. Buy it here!
Travel Laundry Machine
Are you tired of hand washing your clothes in a hotel room sink? Even though hand washing takes no more than 15 minutes, it is the last thing that everyone is excited about after a long exhausting day. Simply pack this travel laundry machine with you everywhere you go.
- Dimensions are 4” x 2.17” x 0.83”.
- Includes 1 washing machine, 1 USB data cable, and 1 manual.
- Lightweight and perfect travel size.
- Helps to easily deep clean clothes.
- Works well only on small clothes and small loads of wash.
If you are tired of washing underwear and t-shirts while traveling, pack this travel laundry machine. Simply add clothes into a wash basin with travel laundry detergent. Insert the mini USB portable machine, plug it in and walk away only to return with fresh and clean clothes. Buy it here!
Portable Travel Clothes Dryer
Using a clothesline takes overnight to completely dry your wardrobe pieces. Occasionally it takes even more time depending on the garment or weather conditions. Whether you are traveling to humid regions or extremely cold destinations, this portable travel clothes dryer helps you to dry much quicker. In addition, it protects the clothing materials and eliminates wrinkles at the same time.
- Dimensions are 9.7” x 8.6” x 3.9” and weighs 1.67 pounds.
- Works on dress shirts, shoes, delicates, and dresses.
- Supports up to 11 pounds.
- Have 2 hanging options: specialty clips or traditional hanger.
- Ultra quiet and adjusts to a hot or cold air dryer.
- Depends on the fabrication, but items like a sweater will take 6+ hours and a dress shirt takes less than 2 hours.
It’s best to avoid extreme hot air to dry any capsule wardrobe essentials. This portable travel clothes dryer blows lukewarm air so it won’t damage clothing fibers. It’s perfect for hotel rooms when you must hand wash an item to get ready for wearing later in the day. Buy it here!
From capsule wardrobe pieces to toiletry bags and travel gadgets, there are many things to pack to make your vacation much more enjoyable. Clothing cleaning is an essential part of looking your best all the time.
Dealing with food or beverage stains and sweat spots on your favorite top or pants is a nightmare while traveling. Pack the best travel laundry essentials to help you resolve the problem immediately.
Treating stains before hand washing your dirty laundry is the key to keeping your clothes fresh and clean everyday. With these travel laundry essentials, your wardrobe will smell good all the time and you will be able to enjoy clean clothes wherever you travel.
What are your favorite travel laundry essentials?
Share your laundry tips for how to wash clothes when traveling!