Are you looking for fabric scissors that cuts sharp and and clean cutlines? From shears to thread cutter, there are a wide range of brand name of fabric scissors to choose from in your price range.
Investing in a quality pair of sewing scissors will save you tons of mistakes. So, it is important to make the right choice when building a sewing kit that suits your budget.
Whether you are debating to get fabric scissors or rotary cutter to cut fabric for sewing, it all will depend on the fabrication and shape of cut line. Owning sharp fabric scissors are the most important asset to sewing kit.
For sewing clothes, scissors are not only used to fabric, but also to cut patterns from non-fabric materials like paper pattern and trims. Let’s learn in depth about each type of scissors to help you to find the best scissors for sewing.
What are scissors used for in sewing?
Scissors used for sewing have longer blades with pointed tips compared to regular craft scissors. They are intended to smoothly cut various types of fabric in straight, long, and curves.
Not only cutting fabrics, but also these sewing scissors help to give accurate measurements of seam allowance, darts and tucks position. To have professional sewn garment, finding correct scissors to cut various fabrication is the key.
How are fabric scissors different than regular scissors?
The main differences between fabric scissors and regular all purpose scissors are visual. Fabric scissors have one small handle for your thumb and the other larger handle to use more than one finger. The longer blades helps provides you more control while cutting fabric, but regular scissors have slightly shorter blade than fabric scissors.
The angle of the handles of sewing scissors is also different from regular scissors to make it comfortable to use while cutting fabric on a flat surface. Regular scissors on the other hand have serrated blades with a downward angle so that they can cut paper more easily.
All-purpose scissors don’t have the right level of sharpness and could break the blade when trying to cut through heavyweight fabric. Regular scissors are made to cut through paper and lack resistance from the fabric.
Why are fabric scissors so fragile?
The blades of fabric scissors have a very sharp angle, but do not have any serration. Their blades are much sharper than the blades of regular scissors.
Fabric scissors become dull while cutting paper because all types of paper include various types of abrasive minerals that can easily dull the razor-like sharp blades of fabric scissors. That is why every sewer owns at least two pair of scissors to use, paper and fabric scissors are kept separately.
Types of Sewing Scissors
Cutting the fabric out of sewing pattern is the most important steps of sewing accurately. Keep in mind that various types of fabric scissors are used in sewing based on fabric.
Each scissor provides different technique and results that cannot be accomplished by regular scissors.
- Rotary cutter: It is normally used for quilting as it is perfect tool to cut straight lines, but it can also be used for cutting various other types of materials including leather, paper, and fabric. This cutter can also be used to cut multiple layers at a time without damaging the fabric.
- Embroidery scissors: The blades of this pair of scissors have sharp but thin tips, so that it can cut the threads at the back of the embroidery safely and accurately. The length of these scissors is normally between 3 to 6 inches to help work on delicate parts.
- Appliqué scissors: The blades of these scissors are shaped like paddle, so that the bottom layer of the fabric can be pushed to cut the fabric flawlessly close to the stitches to create clean appliqué on the garment.
- Pinking shears: These shears have blades with saw-like teeth to cut the edge of the fabric in a zigzag pattern. Sometimes it is also used to cut the edges of seams to avoid tangling of threads or avoid overlock stitching in the end. To avoid struggling with the fabric threads, these shears can also be used to trim fabric before washing it.
- Heavy-duty shears: These shears can be used to cut heavy-duty fabrics like leather, corduroy, heavyweight fabrics effortlessly and accurately.
Why do you need two pairs of scissors for sewing?
For sewing clothing, you need two pair of scissors to cut fabric and paper separately. While sewing a garment, cut patterns of paper for which you cannot use fabric scissors as the paper will dull the sharpness of the extra sharp blades that are designed for textile materials.
The rule of thumbs goes you should always use fabric scissors exclusively for cutting fabric. They should be a bit heavier in construction to cut the fabric more precisely and neatly, even if you are using it to cut several layers of fabric.
In this way, for cutting paper patterns you should have another pair of regular scissors. The scissors used for cutting paper while sewing can be of any size or shape, and usually have smaller handles than fabric scissors.
What are pinking shears used for in sewing?
If you have to cut fabric in a zigzag pattern, instead of using regular fabric scissors you should use pinking shears because they have blades with saw-like teeth.
These shears cut the edges of the fabric in zigzag patterns to avoid fraying of the fabric, especially when it is weaved loosely. In this way, pinking shears are an important tool for sewing garments to make the inside seam look more beautiful.
What is the difference between scissors and shears?
Though many people consider shears and scissors as the same, but they are different from each other. Not only in terms of their design, but also in terms of their applications.
Scissors are symmetrical as they have holes of equal size to hold it with your fingers, and the length of their blades is normally 6 inches or less. Shears, have a larger hole to fit all four fingers and a smaller hole for the thumb with blades larger the 6 inches in length.
Dressmaker or sewer usually use shears for sewing instead of scissors. The pair of shears have handles attached with adjustable screws for precision cutting.
Also, they may have a bent beak shape to make the task of shearing fabric even easier.
How do I choose sewing scissors?
Here are tips for choose sewing scissors that will help you to find the right one:
- Quality of materials used: The blades of the sewing scissors should be made of stainless steel to make their edges durable and strong to cut your fabric smoothly.
- The sharpness of the blades: The quality of the blades of sewing scissors can also depend upon their ability to sharpen their edges.
- Guarantee: Some of the reputed brands offer a lifetime guarantee to ensure the quality of their fabric scissors.
- Ask for references: While buying fabric scissors from a fabric store, ask for references to understand their experiences in this regard.
- Do research: Spend some time researching so that you can consult sewing forums and other sources to help you to choose the best scissors for sewing.
- Try before buying: Before buying a pair of fabric scissors, try them on a piece of fabric to feel how ergonomic its handles are and how smoothly it cuts fabric. Try and feel if it is comfortable while in action.
- Bend of the handles: The handle of fabric scissors should be bent at a perfect angle to help your hand to handle it comfortably while cutting fabric on a flat surface. The handle of your scissors should be able to reduce fatigue while cutting various layers of fabric.
Best Sewing Scissors
Selecting the best quality sewing scissors does not have to require endless time to research brands, types, budget, and precision cutting factors. It tends to be expensive, however a good investment will last for years instead of cheap pair of scissors that you have to constantly replace too.
This dressmaker shears from Ginger are perfect to trim seams or cut lengthy rolls of fabric. The long knife-edge blades have the capability to cut multiple layers of fabric easily.
It is durable and has nice weight about 8 oz. Though a bit heavier than Singer scissors, they feel sturdy to cut straight line.
If you are still wondering why you should pick Ginger knife edge dressmaker shears, here are some reasons:
- Ultra sharp knife edge blades
- Bent handle to help hold materials flat
- Double plated finish chrome over nickel
Are you big fan of Singer brand? This pair of scissors are the best for making dresses and tailoring clothes.
The blades are tempered on both sides to ensure sharpness and smooth cutting. Also, fits both left or right handed sewer, so grab a pair and try for yourself!
Here is why you should choose Singer Professional Series Bent Scissors:
- 9½ inch bent scissors
- Rubberized comfortable handle
- Rust Resistance
If you are looking for the sharpest fabric scissors to cut heavyweight fabrics, this Pro-Master high carbon stainless steel scissors is the one. It can cut 16 layers of thick fabric at once all the way to the tip.
From denim to leather fabric, you name it and this scissors will perform beautifully.
Here are a few facts you should know about this scissors:
- Ergonomic comfort grip
- Safety storage sleeve
- Razor sharp 3” scissor blades
Most of scissors won’t cut right on the tip, however this 4⅕” compact size scissors are perfect for detail work. The sharp point tip makes it easy to reach narrow areas.
There is no angled grips in the handle, so it can be used by a right or left-hand person.
Here is what makes Singer Nano Tip Deal Scissors the best:
- Deep seated blades
- 2 layers of fabric or 5 sheets of paper cutting force
- Stainless steel blades
If you are looking for right or left handed rotary cutter, this classic cutter features high quality and precise results. It is designed for fabric to cut multiple layers of fabric from felt to vinyl.
Whether you are cutting curved or straight line, this rotary works for every projects.
Fiskars classic rotary cutter provides nice crisp cut edge. This product is also:
- 45 mm premium steel blade
- Curved and loop handle design
- Buttons to lock into position
Pretty vintage style design with gold-plated finish on handle makes this embroidery scissors aesthetic, but also provides excellent shape and high quality to cut accurately regardless of its size. From sewing to needlework, perfect to have two for the price of one.
If you are still wondering why you should pick this embroidery scissors, here are some reasons:
- Stainless steel
Cut close to the stitching with this appliqué scissors. Not only on appliqué, you can use them for flawlessly grading seam allowance, snipping threads, and cutting close to seams.
It is sharp, easy to maneuver, and highly recommend for beginner to use this scissors in every sewing task.
Here is why you should choose Ginger appliqué scissors:
- Paddle-shaped blade
- Double plated chrome over nickel blade finish
- Offset handle
The 9.3 inches pinking scissors are designed for everyday use from fabrics to lining. It is also lightweight and gives you cutting control to give crisp zigzag cutlines.
The blades are not angled and have a flat bottom like normal fabric shears, that is why it is best to stick with cutting fabric only.
Here is what makes this pinking scissors so popular:
- Ergonomic design soft grip handles
- Durable stainless steal blades
- For left and right hand use
This durable thread nipper requires minimal effort and no hand strain to maneuver the smooth cutting action.
It snips everything from light threads to heavier yarns. Perfect tool to have next to your sewing machine when you don’t have an automatic thread cutter feature on the machine.
Thread nippers help to cut threads to cleanly finish the seams. This product is also:
- Corrosion resistance
- Fully nickel plated
- Memory steel spring and caged ball