Are you having a hard time to remove stains from your favorite hoodies? Whether it is coffee or sweat stains, you can save the stained hoodies when treated properly.
Similar to stains in sweat pants, hoodies are easily taken care of at home. A few easy steps and the hoodie will be blemish free.
How do you get stains out of hoodies? Fill an empty spray bottle with distilled white vinegar and spray the stained area. Cover the spot by sprinkling with baking soda and gently rub the mixture with your finger tips or an old toothbrush.
If needed, spray the vinegar once more, then leave it for 30 minutes. Lastly, rinse with cold water to evaluate if the stain is removed and repeat the process until completely treated before using a machine wash.
Some stains are likely to persist, even if you do your laundry in the right way. So, instead of throwing away your favorite hoodie, try some home tricks to get rid of stains.
Fair warning, this won’t be easy. It requires a bit of work and time depending on the stain type and how long it has been in place.
Vinegar is one of the most versatile cleaners, it’s the treating master for all stains, including the toughest ones. It works up to 90% of the time and is most efficient on non-grease, while the baking soda helps to absorb the stain so that it is easily removed and not spread.
In this article, we are going to share essential clothing cleaning tips and best way to get stains out of hoodies. Answered below are frequently asked questions about how to treat dirt, sweat, oil, blood, and all stains to completely clean spots on your favorite hoodies.
How Do You Get Stains Out of a Hoodie
Get rid of the stain by applying stain remover or homemade laundry detergent before putting your hoodie into the washer. In order to get stains out of a hoodie, it is important to figure out what caused the stain in the first place.
Before starting the process of removing the stain, investigate what caused it in the first place. This step will help you discover if the stain is oily or non-oily, which will assist you in making the right choice of stain remover.
Choose the artificial stain remover or homemade remedies depending on the nature of the stain.
For an oily-based stain, avoid using water since oil tends to repel water. Rinsing the stain with cold water might intensify the fabric, therefore you should wipe it with a dry paper towel instead.
Other than oily stains, here are types of stain removal solutions:
- Any Stains: The quickest way to remove any stain is by working on them as fast as possible. Vinegar is one of the most potent stain removers due to its low pH and acidity. Adding a paste of vinegar to baking soda will help get rid of the toughest stains.
Vinegar will also restore and freshen the fabric color while preventing fading. Apply on the stain and let it settle for a few hours, then wash your hoodie as usual.
- Grease and Oil: Take a spray bottle and mix one tablespoon of dish soap and glycerin with 1.5 cups of warm water. Shake the bottle to mix the solution completely. Spray the solution on the stain and ensure the whole spot is completely soaked.
Let the solution settle on the stain for 15-20 minutes. Wash the solution using cold water and put a tablespoon of baking soda on the area., this will help soak up any grease and oil remaining. Hang your hoodie to air dry.
- Sweat Stains: This type of stain tend to build up with time, causing a weird yellow stain along the armpit area. Mix a quarter cup of warm water and four tablespoons of soda water or use lemon juice with soda water.
Use your fingers to rub the solution into the sweat stain and leave it under the sun for 2 hours. Wash your hoodie as usual and the sweat stain should be gone.
- Dirt: When you notice dirt buildup on your hoodie, let it dry first, then wipe the dirt crumbles away. Use a knife to scrape away the dirt if needed.
Put liquid detergent on the stain and gently rub it, and leave for 15 minutes. Pour a few drops of water and use a damp toothbrush to scrub either side of the material. Now, clean it separately using the usual procedure in the washer. Check if all dirt is gone and then put it outside to dry naturally.
How Do You Get a Stain Out of a Hoodie Without Washing It
When machine wash is not available, spot-cleaning hoodies can be challenging. Sometimes the hoodie you are wearing can get stained during any occasion.
If you cannot wash it immediately, here are steps to take to remove stains out of a hoodie without washing it.
- Use a clean cloth to wipe away as much stain as possible.
- Dip your clean cloth in dry cleaning detergent or vinegar, and wipe the stain.
- Keep wiping to transfer the stain to the cleaning cloth.
- Constantly turn to a clean part of the cloth to ensure you don’t transfer the stain back onto the hoodie.
- When the stain is completely gone, wipe the area using a clean damp cloth.
- Allow your hoodie to air dry.
The quickest way to act on any stain on a hoodie is by using a solution to remove the stain as much as possible.
Gently blot the stained area instead of rubbing it. The rubbing motion can actually spread out the stain and make it larger area.
How Do I Get Stains Out of Hoodies That Have Been Washed?
When you didn’t realize that there was a stain on the hoodie and accidentally washed them without noticing, it can feel devastating. However, this can be resolved as well.
To solve the incident of a stain that is set in, you need to make yourself a dry cleaning kit. This kit comprises a plastic zippered bag, a stain remover pen and cleaning clothes.
- Using the stain removing pen, draw over the stain.
- Put the hoodie in the bag and place in a cleaning cloth.
- Repeat the process until the stain is no longer visible before drying.
- Place the bag in the dryer and allow it to dry for about half an hour; ensure to always follow the care instructions on the label.
- When time is over, take the hoodie out of the dryer and hang it to dry since the bag usually produces a lot of steam.
- Always treat the stain with a stain removal pen before putting it in the dryer.
The stains that have been already washed can take a while to remove. Make sure not to throw in the dryer until the stain is gone since heat drying will set stains.
Tips to get stains out of hoodies
When treated properly, stains on hoodies can be easily removed. However, not all stains are treated equally.
Follow the above solution to treat specific types of stains and use these clothing cleaning tips to get stains out of hoodies.
- Always test your cleaning method on a hidden part of the hoodie to understand any reactivity between the solution and the fabrication.
- Ensure the solution is 50% vinegar and 50% water mixture.
- Avoid putting the hoodie in the dryer until the stain is completely removed.
- For any food stains, spray vinegar solution and baking soda on both inside and outside of the stained area.
- Use alcohol to remove ink stains.
- When stain cleaning on a colored hoodie, ensure to use less vinegar to prevent from becoming dull color.
Try to catch the stain before it dries and sets in by using cold water and vinegar solution to prevent from permanent stain setting in. Also, avoid using bleach, it can harm the coloration and may damage your hoodie.
Best way to get stains out of hoodies
The best way to remove stains out of hoodies is by understanding the type of stains. In addition, react immediately to get rid of them instead of leaving them, and wash after spot-cleaning.
Start by filling an empty bottle with white vinegar. Saturate the stained area entirely, then sprinkle baking soda on the spot.
Gently rub the solution into the material and keep respraying with vinegar if necessary. Leave it to settle for 30 minutes, then use cold water to rinse the back of the stain for a few minutes.
Hold the area with stain and respray it with vinegar.
Take a bucket and fill it with water; you can also opt for a sink instead of using a bucket. Add a few tablespoons of washing detergent and a half cup of vinegar to the wash water.
Leave the stained hoodie to soak overnight. Rinse and hang to air dry.
Removing Stains from Hoodies: Conclusion
Hoodies are comfortable to wear at home and outside. It is also, the easiest classic item to take care at home and does not require professional dry cleaning, however it is important to pre-treat the garment prior to washing and drying.
If you find any stains on your favorite hoodies, remove them as soon a possible before the stain starts to set-in. This can make it difficult and take longer to completely remove.
Start by spraying vinegar on the stained area and lightly sprinkle with baking soda. This can help to absorb and transfer from the garment to the mixture.
Depending on whether it is an oil or non-oil based stain, you may need different methods to resolve the issue.
Repeat gently rubbing and washing process until the stain is completely removed prior to drying. Heat can set the stain and make a permanent mark.
Whether you accidentally washed stained hoodie or looking ways to get rid of stains without washing, follow these cleaning tips and methods to revive your favorite hoodies so that remain stain free.