Is the beaded bag trend still happening? Thanks to British brand Shrimps and New York based indie designer Susan Alexandra, the beaded bag trend is a chic and a fashionable accessory to showcase with any outfit. So, lets learn how to make a beaded bag from scratch!
Once you understand how to make a beaded bag from scratch, you will find that it is easy to do and is a fun hobby. Bag making often follows the same basic principles, which allow you to complete the project with ease.
Table of Contents
Beaded Bag Trend
The beaded bag trend has sparked because the beaded bag is a perfect accessory to elevate any outfit. From a simple t-shirt and jeans to a statement piece with your date night outfit, a beaded bag can work for every occasion.
The best part of all, no matter how you wear it, you can pair with any outfit and instantly look chic. And that is why the beaded bag trend will continue for a long time!
source: @ shrimps
You may feel like your straw bag and beaded bags are only summer season friendly. But this unique 90’s style nostalgic bead bag trend is season-less.
You can pair it with your spring dress or even a fuzzy sweater in chilly winter weather. From a pearl shade to clear glass or even colorful candy like beads, its no wonder the beaded bag trend is all over Instagram.
How To Make A Beaded Bag From Scratch
In this DIY beaded bag tutorial, I want to show you how to make a beaded bag from scratch with a simple step-by-step video guide.
If you are up for the challenge of this DIY beaded bag tutorial, grab some crystal glass beads and let’s start beading!
DIY Beaded Bag Tutorial
Follow along with this DIY beaded bag tutorial and were going to learn beaded bag making. Its really not hard to understand how to make a beaded bag from scratch, it just takes time.
This Susan Alexandra style beaded bag tutorial uses crystal glass beads in chic box shape, which allows you to carry lots of things and is also totally Instagram worthy.
Get your beaded bag making materials ready, and let’s find out how to make a beaded bag from scratch!
Beaded Bag Making Materials:
How to Make Bags Out of Beads
- In this beaded bag tutorial, you need a roll of .45mm clear beading thread.
- 1000 pieces of clear 8mm rondelle crystal beads.
- 110 pieces of green, red, aqua, dark blue, light blue, dark purple, light pink and yellow colored 8mm rondelle crystal beads
- 55 piece of dark pink color beads 8mm rondelle crystal beads.
- The colored beads came in an assorted bag of 300 pieces, so I highly recommend you organize the beads by color before starting the beaded bag making process.
Beaded Bag Design
- For this beaded bag tutorial, I assembled 9” bead straps ahead of time that included rows of 3.
Each 9” strap had 55 beads total.
- In addition, I also assembled 3” bead straps for the sides that included 13 beads total.
- I used 9 straps of 9” and 6 straps of 3” clear beads.
- For the colorful stripe patterned straps, you need the same size long and short bead straps.
Decide on your own personal pattern, and then assemble 10 colorful 9” bead straps and also 10 matching 3” bead straps
- We will attach all of the bead straps together using a connector row.
Beaded Bag Making
- To make a 3” bead strap, cut a piece of beading thread that is about 12” long and begin by sliding 3 beads through the thread.
- Next, grab another bead and slide each end of the thread through the opposite bead holes to make a crisscross.
Pull the ends of the thread tight so that the bead lands in the center of the bead cluster.
- Again, place one bead on each end of the thread and finish with a third bead crisscross threading.
Continue this beading pattern to make your long and short clear straps.
- To make colorful stripe patterned straps, cut the beading thread and slide through your colored beads.
- You will crisscross thread the center colored bead. Then repeat the same outside pattern,
- After you finish making long and short clear straps and colored stripe long and short straps, it’s time to connect them!
Beaded Bag Pattern
- How to connect bead straps together for this beaded bag pattern.
Grab the colored beads for the row and a 24” piece of beading thread. For this beaded bag tutorial, I used green colored beads to connect this row.
- First, thread one bead and place it in the center.
- Next, thread one end of the thread through the first bead hole of the top strap, and the other end of the thread through the first bead hole of the bottom strap.
- Then, cross thread a connector bead by sliding each end of the thread through opposite bead holes to make a crisscross.
- Again, thread one end of the thread through the second bead hole of the top strap, and the other end of the thread through the second bead hole of the bottom strap.
- Continue by cross threading a connector bead and then repeat this pattern until you meet the end of the bead strap.
- Simply tie 3~4 knots to end the thread and cut with scissor.
- To join the front and side panels together for this beaded bag pattern, use the same connector bead and cross threading technique to follow the stripe pattern down the side of the bag.
My pattern includes 3 clear bead rows, followed by 3 colored bead rows in a single stripe pattern.
This pattern repeats down the entire bag.
- Again, finish by tying 3~4 knots and remove any extra thread with scissors.
- The base was made with 3 separate 9” bead straps made with clear beads.
- The bead straps were connected using clear beads to make a large rectangular base.
- Attach the base of the bag by cross threading clear connector beads and joining the sides of the bag to the base.
Beaded Bag Handles
- To make beaded bag handles, start by finding the center point of the bag opening.
Count an equal distance away from the center and this will be your handles starting points on each side of the bag.
- Thread through a single bead from the bag opening to start the beaded bag handles. Then, add one clear bead to each end of the thread and finish by cross threading a colored bead.
- For this DIY beaded bag tutorial, I used the remaining colored beads for the beaded bag handle. I interchanged them with clear beads.
You can make the beaded bag handle all clear, or even use double colored beads and single clear beads in the center.
- Finish this beaded bag tutorial by securing the handle with 3~4 knots. Then, enjoy your fun new colorful beaded bag!
Beaded Bag Tutorial For Beginners
Learning how to make a beaded bag from scratch will update your wardrobe collection. Beaded bag making is so much easier than you think if you follow this beaded bag tutorial for beginners.
Feel free to ask any questions in the comments below; especially if you have any questions about this beaded bag design or how to make a beaded bag from scratch. I will be sure to help out as best as I can.
Master these basic skills for how to make a beaded bag from scratch. As a result, you are all set to create unique beaded bag designs on your own.
Turn on your favorite podcast and enjoy some craft time by practicing how to make a beaded bag from scratch. With this beaded bag DIY tutorial, you will be surprised how different beaded bag designs you can easily create.
Have you ever done beaded bag making before?
Share your super cute beaded bag designs with me at #MakeWithFashionWanderer!