Do you buy fabric online frequently and wonder if there is an easy way to match color of thread to the fabrication? For any print or solid with white, navy, or black color, there is no need to spend time on matching thread color because it’s easy.
However, red, pink, or even sky blue can be quite challenging. There are other color scheme that makes it harder to choose between, so you end up having to go with either lighter or darker thread color compared to the fabric.
How do you match thread to fabric online? Colors of fabric may vary slightly depending on the computer monitor that you are looking at, which ranges from light to dark color shades.
In order to match thread to fabric correctly, select the weight and type of thread beforehand. Use a thread color chart to reference with small fabric swatch next to each other to easily evaluate the color properties.
It is just easy to pick up thread to match a sewing fabric needs, which can lead to the wrong decision-making. The rule of thumb should be to examine both the thread and the fabric closely before beginning the sewing project.
Basically, the quality of the fabric and thread utilized possess a direct bearing on the overall result of the sewing task. In some cases, old sewing thread tends to fade and change color overtime.
To help achieve the remarkable outcome, in this article we are going to look at how to match thread to fabric online. Answered below are frequently asked questions about selecting and purchasing thread online, and thing you need to look for when matching thread to the fabric while online shopping.
How can I match my thread color online?
Matching thread color is something every sewers desire to achieve without a mistake. When taking this action, you expect top-notch results with awesome colorfastness, variety, stitch ability, durability, and color options.
Choosing raw materials and following the standards given online can be a ground for achieving a quality product. After all, there is no point in struggling to match the thread when you can shop online.
Note that threads come in various kinds for distinct reasons, and among the available types can be rayon, metallic, silk, and wool for special tasks. Each kind performs a unique function and must be chosen depending on the task, technique, and fabric.
In addition, look for the right thread weight. This aspect will rely on durability, material, and strength desire on that thread’s visibility, seam, and the desired appearance.
After choosing the right weight and type of thread, the next part is choosing an ideal color that will match the material. For seaming and basic sewing, take the thread and place it beside the fabric for initial comparison.
If the fabric is printed, patterned, or multicolored, then you can concentrate on the background or main color. For topstitching or accenting, consider a contrasting thread.
It is easy to select thread color when you have fabric next to you, however when looking at fabrics online, it is totally different story.
Simply pull out Gutermann Sew-All 100% polyester thread color chart next to the fabric you are looking at online to evaluate which thread color to select from. When you find the matching color, look for number code to purchase online as well.
How do you match fabric to the thread?
Before matching fabric to thread, analyze different kinds of threads and how to utilize them. To help take you through this process, we have given a comprehensive list of threads that are widely used.
- Cotton threads: These are mainly used for fabrics such as cotton. They usually are lustrous and have a smooth finish, making them an appropriate choice for sewing. When matching fabric, cotton threads tend to have a deeper and richer color than polyester threads, so match the content of the fabric for best result.
- Polyester thread: This kind of thread is utilized in synthetic fabrics because it is strong and hard to break. The good thing about it being that it possesses silicon or wax that assists the thread in gliding smoothly via the fabric. When matching it with fabric color, note that it has a transparent finish so it is ideal for hiding the stitches.
- Silk thread: Silk thread works well with a great natural fabric such as wool and silk. While matching to fabric, understand that it is sturdy and can tolerate heat. Generally, silk thread is much thinner than any other that require a pointy needle. So, when it comes to selecting the thread color to match with fabric, go with slightly darker thread color.
- Woolen thread: This is best utilized in thicker fabrics such as canvas, wool, and also when handling embroidery tasks. When matching it with the fabric, consider using a large needle because it is very strong to punch through. Do not forget to adjust the sewing machine tension while utilizing this option. Also, these woolen thread are mostly used for contrast topstitching, which does not require to match the color thread.
- Metallic thread: This option is mostly available in silver, gold, and copper finish. Employ this thread while handling fabrics such as purses, handbags, and for embroidery reasons and decorative purposes. Use color wheel for dressmaking, to find the best matching color for these metallic thread. The rule of thumb is for silver thread to match with cool colors, gold thread with warm color, and copper threads goes well with brown tones, black, or all natural hues.
Tips to Choose Thread Color
Whether you are shopping for fabric while shopping online or in-store, choosing the right fabric for clothing is first and foremost step that every sewer gets excited with. But selecting thread color to match with the fabric can be intense.
To take this burden off your shoulders, here are essential tips to choose thread color that matches perfect with your next sewing project:
- Consider coordinating a collection. This helps to ensure that the thread color option you pick matches the fabric selection. Usually, almost every fabric is colored and tailored to coordinate well with one another. Despite that, consider fabrics that are tailored to coordinate.
- Utilize a standard reference thread color. This helps to communicate with the thread seller the kind of color you want. The most effective way can be comparing different colors to a standard reference tool, and employ it as your guide to make the right selections.
- Give a try to the color-match generator. If you are still confused, the color match generator can guide you. Many generators can be found online and are available to help suggest the right color combinations.
Matching Thread with Fabric Online: Conclusion
Matching the thread to your fabric should be simple and straightforward. As a beginner sewer, this process can be intimidating and stressful, especially when the fabric is seen while shopping online.
In order to match thread to fabric online, understand that computer monitors can vary result the actual fabric. Due to this uncertainty, the best way to solve this issue is by understanding the weight and different type of thread.
From there, use a thread color chart and small fabric swatch to evaluate and come up with the best option.
The commercial thread chart from Gutermann is great example to reference. Match with fabric online and find the thread color code to add to your cart as you shop.
Another way is using color-match generator that to simply pick the color. Afterwards, the generator will provide the thread number based on each brand.
Always match fabric content with thread content to get the best sewing experience and durability of the finished garment. There are cotton, polyester, silk, woolen, and metallic thread that provides various feature and purposes.
Some sewing projects may require matching color, while other threads are used as contrast color to enhance the design.
Matching thread to fabric is a fun step. When achieved correctly, you’ll feel proud and ready to start the sewing project.
With this guide, we hope to have shed light on where you were stuck when matching thread to fabric while shopping online. Follow the color palette and use the thread color code to make the right purchase.