A classic dungaree dress is an essential must have item for your fall capsule wardrobe. Challenge your refashion skills with this upcycle tutorial on how to make a DIY dungaree dress from old corduroy pants.
From wine to khaki colors, corduroy is a fun fabric to wear and to mix up your late summer to early winter wardrobe. This DIY dungaree dress from old corduroy pants is a fun refashion beginners sewing project that also includes a detachable drawstring bag.
If you found a pair of old corduroy pants from your closet or a local thrift store, then recycle old clothes into new clothes. You can easily upcycle this functional DIY dungaree dress from old corduroy pants.
Once you learn how to upcycle clothes, the creative options see no boundaries. Great news, this functional dungaree dress comes with a handy detachable drawstring bag!
It’s no brainer that dungarees are a 70’s geek chic trend that is coming back around. Sew your own DIY dungaree dress from old corduroy pants so that you are ready for the definitive autumn trend.
Recycle thrift shop clothes by transforming into a DIY dungaree dress from old corduroy pants. The drawstring bag makes this refashion a two for one deal that you can easily mix and match with your wardrobe.
Learn how to make this DIY dungaree dress from old corduroy pants. You can easily upgrade your fall capsule wardrobe.
Wear your DIY dungaree dress from old corduroy pants to festivals, to grab cup of your favorite coffee and also run errands during the day.
Use the front piece as pocket to carry your phone or cards. Even convert it into drawstring bag to carry more gadgets that you need throughout the day.
Grab a pair of old corduroy pants and let’s get started!
- Sewing Machine
- Fabric Chalk
- Measuring Tape
- Seam Ripper
- Straight Pins
- Start by using a seam ripper to remove the belt loops and all of the pockets.
- To transform old pants into a skirt bottom, measure 17” down each leg from the waistline and mark with fabric chalk. Cut along the chalk mark to remove the extra fabric.
- The pants were a bit large for me, so I took in the side seam about ¾” and cut out the fabric on both sides. Then, I had to create a new side seam, so I pinned to secure and then zigzag stitch to finish.
- Cut open the crotch seam and fold the skirt in half. With a ruler, draw a straight line from the back yoke seam to the hem, and another straight line from the end of the zipper to the hem. Sew zig zag stitch along the chalk mark.
- Clean up the edges and trim the extra fabric from the skirt seams.
- Grab one of the back pocket pieces to cover the front gap.
Sewing tip: Make sure the corduroy directions are matching with the skirt pattern.
- Fold the edges, ¼” and pin to secure before sewing edge topstitch on the pocket piece. Even out the hemline by cutting a straight line.
How To Make A DIY Drawstring Bag For The Chest Piece
- To make the drawstring for the bag, I recycled the extra inseam from the pant leg. Using a safety pin guide the drawstring through the tunnel.
- To make a DIY drawstring bag, cut along the seam of the pants leg and remove the bulky seam. Then, fold the leg piece in half so that the height is about 11”.
- Measure 11½” across the fold and mark with fabric chalk. Pin along the chalk mark and cut the excess material.
- Next, sew both sides and finish with zigzag stitch. Flip the bag right side out and make a 1” wide tunnel around the bag opening.
- Make 2 pieces of 3½” by 2” straps. Fold all sides ¼” and then fold in half lengthwise. Pin to secure and edge topstitch all around both strap pieces.
- Topstitch diagonal across both bottom corners of the bag and then add a grommet to each.
- In addition, insert a grommet on both strap pieces for the bag. Attach the strap pieces on the top of the bag. And add belt loops to help close the bag.
How To Finish The DIY Dungaree Dress
- To make the shoulder straps, cut out 6 pieces of 1½” wide straps from the pant leg.
- Lay the wrong side of 2 straps on top of each other and fold ¼” on both sides. Pin to secure and edge top stitch both sides. Slide a finished shoulder strap through the grommet and make a knot.
- To finish the dungaree dress, hand sew small snap buttons onto 2 belt loops.
- Attach one end of the belt loop inside of the waistline of the skirt. Slide the belt loop through the bottom grommet of the drawstring bag and secure with the snap button.
- Attach 2 tack buttons to the back waistband and measure the shoulder strap to fit.
- Double fold the hem ½” and finish with topstitch and complete this DIY dungaree dress tutorial.
This design features a detachable drawstring bag.
Attach the chest piece directly to the skirt bottom to avoid making the convertible bag feature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What’s your favorite way to refashion old corduroy pants?
Share your DIY dungaree dress from old corduroy pants with me!