Today we are going to learn how to refashion denim mini dress from old jeans. I have made this diy dress from jeans tutorial an easy beginners sewing project and simple to follow.
From Olivia Palermo to Suki Waterhouse, and Alexa Chung, there are so many inspiring fashion influencers that keep you looking trendy and chic all year long.
One of their favorite items that these influencers can’t live without is denim. It’s not new, but denim is timeless and is also a must have capsule wardrobe piece for all four seasons.
Especially suitable for the fact that denim clothing can be mixed and matched with any outfit. Regardless of the season, if it is summer or fall, you can still look casual and chic wearing denim.
As a result, we are going make a $380 Alexa Chung inspired outfit with this step-by-step refashion denim mini dress from old jeans tutorial. Follow along and learn how to reuse old jeans to make new clothes!
Table of Contents
How To Reuse Old Jeans To Make New Clothes
There are so many fun and creative ways to refashion denim mini dress from old jeans. Discover new ways for how to reuse old jeans to make new clothes.
Decide what the goal is, and then make a plan for how to refashion old jeans to make new clothes. I’m super happy with how this DIY refashion project turned out, and the results truly speak for itself!
DIY Dress From Jeans Tutorial
You don’t always need to rush out and by a $400 outfit. For this upcycle jeans project, Alexa Chung inspired me to make this DIY dress from jeans tutorial.
The original price of this Alexa Chung inspired dress is $380, and I made it for $5 with this DIY dress from jeans tutorial. This DIY dress from jeans tutorial will show you how to refashion denim mini dress from old jeans and almost exactly copy this outfit.
This Alexa Chung inspired denim mini dress is modeled after the 60s and 70s musical muses. A baby doll silhouette and a bow tie keyhole neckline make this refashion denim mini dress from old jeans unique and feminine.
You can wear as it is with your favorite straw bag during the hot summer season or even with an embroidered t-shirt underneath for more coverage during the transitional fall season.
If you have any questions about this DIY dress from jeans tutorial, feel free to ask in the comments in the YouTube video or even on this post. I will be sure to help you out the best that I can if you are stuck!
Refashion Denim Mini Dress From Old Jeans Tutorial
Make your own old jeans new look with this easy beginners sewing project. Have fun today and let’s refashion denim mini dress from old jeans.
If you are looking to upgrade your wardrobe and make an old jeans new look for your classic essential wardrobe, grab a pair of old jeans and let’s get started!
DIY Dress From Jeans Materials:
DIY Mini Dress From Old Jeans Tutorial
- For this DIY mini dress from old jeans tutorial, all you need is a pair of medium stretchy straight leg jeans.
I got mine at Savers for $5.
- First, use a seam ripper to detach the top stitch of both leg hemlines.
- Then, remove the belt loops and the waistband from the pants.
I will show you how to use this waistband as tie strap later in this tutorial.
- Then, remove the back pockets and the zipper.
- The original dress has a long zipper in the center back. But I thought it created a bulky seam, so I decided to use a shorter zipper for this version.
- Measure 24” from the end of the hemline and mark with fabric chalk.
- Make a straight line across the leg and cut along the chalk mark.
- Fold the pants in half and cut the same length for the other leg.
- For both leg pieces, open up the side seams with scissors and then remove the bulky inside seam.
- We are going to make the skirt with 8 separate panels.
If you viewed my wrap dress tutorial, I covered these steps in more detail.
- For the front skirt, mark the center of the leg piece with a straight line.
The width for each front center skirt panel is 4” wide at the top and 5” at the bottom hemline.
- The front side skirt panels are 5” wide at the top and 7” wide at the bottom hemline.
This is the complete pattern for the front skirt.
- For the back skirt, copy the same measurements as the front skirt.
In total, you will have 8 pieces for the entire skirt.
- To make the front top piece, open up the crotch seam, and cut along the center back seam.
- Fold this piece in half and make sure the bottom of the fabric is at least 7 1/2” long.
- Grab your favorite cami top for a reference and fold it in half.
Measure 8” down from the highest point and mark with a pin.
- Lay the cami on top of the fabric piece and trace the outline.
Pin to secure and cut along the chalk mark.
- For the back top piece, fold another piece of fabric in half.
Measure the side seam of the front piece and draw a straight line across with fabric chalk.
- Cut along the chalk line and also cut the folded center back.
As a result, you will have 1 front top piece and 2 back top pieces.
How To Make A Denim Dress From Old Jeans
- Now, zig zag stitch the center of each top back piece.
- Individually zig zag stitch the sides of each front center skirt piece and then top stitch them together.
- Then, attach each front side skirt panel with zig zag stitch.
- Place the zipper at the top of the back center skirt panels and measure the end. This is where you start sewing.
- For the center skirt panels, open up the seam inside and double edge topstitch with orange or dark yellow colored thread to give a classic jeans look.
- For the side skirt panels, single edge topstitch.
- Lay the right side of the top piece and right side of the skirt piece together and pin to secure.
Zig zag stitch and then finish with topstitch.
- Use contrast colored thread to finish the seam with edge topstitch.
- Place the right side of the back top piece and right side of the back skirt piece together and pin it to secure.
Again, zig zag stitch and then finish with topstitch.
- For the zipper, sew it onto the center back with edge topstitch.
- Use contrast colored thread to finish the seam with double edge topstitch around the zipper and center back seam.
- Next, join the front and back dress together with zig zag stitch and then use contrast colored thread to finish with single edge topstitch.
- To make the keyhole, flip the dress inside out and measure to the center front.
From the top, draw a U-shape keyhole with fabric chalk that is 1” x 2 3/4” and then cut it out with scissors.
- To bind the keyhole, place a 1” wide strap with the right sides facing each other and sew 1/4” seam allowance.
Fold the strap over the seam and finish edge topstitch.
- To make the binding for the bodice, I used 2 bodice tie straps that are 2” x 36”.
I recommend ironing each strap in half and then double folding the edges to make a binding before attaching to the garment.
This step makes it so much easier to sew.
- Start pinning the top binding from the center back and then sew 1/4” seam allowance.
Fold the binding over the seam and edge topstitch.
- To make the shoulder straps, I used the waistband of the pants to make 2 shoulder straps that are 2” x 13”.
Single edge topstitch both shoulder straps.
- Pin the front and back shoulder straps to secure and sew topstitch.
- To finish this DIY mini dress from old jeans tutorial, fold the hem about 1” and topstitch to finish.
Refashion Denim Mini Dress From Old Jeans for Beginners
With this step-by-step DIY dress from jeans tutorial, refashion denim mini dress from old jeans for beginners is not as difficult as you think.
Furthermore, if you have any questions about this project or any others, feel free to ask in the comments within the YouTube video or even leave a message below. I would love to help you out if you are stuck at all!
To make your capsule wardrobe up-to-date, you don’t need to break the bank. All you need is little bit of time to make this cute and classic Alexa Chung inspired refashion denim mini dress from old jeans.
Have fun and enjoy this sewing project for beginners! And don’t forget, please share your completed refashion denim mini dress from old jeans project with me at #MakeWithFashionWanderer!