Modify the neckline on a t-shirt into a one shoulder crop top to wear this spring and summer season! The sleek and modern look of the asymmetrical neckline gives a casual look to classic pieces like denim jeans.
If you are looking for an easy way to cut a t-shirt into a one shoulder top, you are in the right place! Follow the video tutorial to upcycle crop tops from old t-shirt so you can have a new wearable stylish look.
Take a moment to decided which side you want to keep and let’s transform your old t-shirt into this cool-girl inspired one shoulder crop top to revamp your wardrobe. You may also love these t-shirt upcycle ideas for an easy twist to an old tee.
In this tutorial, I’ll teach you step-by-step instructions to convert an old t-shirt into a trendy and fashionable crop top. Upcycled clothing offers exciting ways to transform outdated items into trendy pieces you are excited about wearing.
You will love this one shoulder crop top from t-shirt because…
- Takes only 15 minutes to convert the neckline, neckband and to hem the finish.
- No sewing patterns are required to modify an existing t-shirt.
- Easy sewing project for beginners.
- Learn how to sew a neckband around the one shoulder seam using overlock and straight stitch.
- The best part is you can make it right or left handed shoulder, choice is yours.
Make a matching set for your one shoulder crop top! I paired the asymmetrical style with a side slit mini skirt from a t-shirt for an edgy DIY outfit idea!
Asymmetrical one shoulder trend is here! the simple change makes your outfit look edgy and modern. When you looking for what to do with old t-shirts, this style will look good on any day, even on the bad hair day.
How to make a t-shirt into a one shoulder shirt?
Adjust the length to make a super cropped length or meet-and-greet length of your choice. The remnant fabric will be used to fashion the neckband, so take body measurements for clothing before you get started to make sure you have enough fabric to work with.
In order to make a t-shirt into a one shoulder shirt, you need basic sewing kit and a sewing machine to execute the project.
Turn on your favorite music and pick out an old t-shirt to transform. Let’s get it started!
DIY One Shoulder Crop Top Material:
- Fabric chalk
- Measuring tape
- Straight pins
Fold the t-shirt in half lengthwise. Mark 18” down from the shoulder and cut to make a crop top.
Mark 4” up from the shoulder seam on one side and 1” down from the underarm seam on the opposite side to make the one shoulder neckline. Cut along the line to make the asymmetrical neckline.
Use the fabric scrap to cut a 2” wide piece to make the new neckband. Attach the neckband to finish the neck opening.
Topstitch the hemline to complete this diy one shoulder crop top.
DIY One Shoulder Crop Top Sewing Tips:
Simply cutting off one side of the sleeve is not how it works. Properly learn how to cut a shirt into one shoulder with clean finishing touch to finish this top with store-bought quality.
While I was preparing this project, I put together couple of essential sewing tips and hacks for you to digest before getting started. These tricks will help you avoid wasting your time and t-shirts.
- Stitches: Choosing the right stitch to attach the neckband to the body is key. Almost all sewing machines have some form of a stretch stitch. But if you don’t see the feature, go with zigzag stitch. Use fabric scraps to experiment with a narrow stitch to see if the fabric stretches, but still maintains a straight seam.
- Needles: When sewing a bias neckline, finding the correct needle is essential to successfully sewing knits. Ballpoint needle is recommended for this project because it helps to avoid damaging the surface of the knit material. If your t-shirt is a fine knit, use a smaller needle. In contrast, if your t-shirt is made with thicker and heavier fabric, then switch to a larger needle.
- Pins: Before you sew, use straight pins to attach the neckband to the new asymmetrical neckline to smoothly sew the finish. I recommend ballpoint pins for knits because they are different than woven/regular pins, so I wouldn’t mix them up.
- Thread: Not all threads are created equal! Regular polyester thread is best to sew with knits, as long as you use a stretch stitch.
- Tension: Always check the tension and stitch length when you sew knits. Set the stitch length to 3mm and the tension from 4.0 to 4.5, these settings work best for knits. Test your tension on a fabric scraps anytime you sew knits.
More crop top upcycle projects from your old t-shirt for your next DIY fashion:
How To Cut T-Shirt Into One Shoulder Crop Top
Transform a tee into this one shoulder crop top. This easy upcycle project will only take you a few minutes. Follow the step by step instructions for an edgy and stylish look.
- Sewing machine
- Fabric chalk
- Measuring tape
- Straight pins
- For this one shoulder crop top tutorial, start by folding the t-shirt in half lengthwise.
- Mark 18” down from the high point on the shoulder.
Draw a straight line across and cut to make a crop top.
- To make the one shoulder neckline, mark 4” up from the shoulder seam on one side.
Also mark 1” down from the underarm seam on the opposite side.
Use fabric chalk to draw a line connecting the two marks.
Cut along the line to make the new neckline.
- To make the new neckband, measure the length of the new neckline.
Use the fabric scrap to cut a 2” wide piece.
Attach the neckband to the wrong side of the neckline.
- To finish the neckband, fold the fabric over the neck opening and attach the band to the other side.
- To finish the hemline, ½” topstitch along the bottom to complete this diy one shoulder crop top.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.