Do you have a go-to purse from your DIY wardrobe? From interior to external pocket and lengthy shoulder strap, this will become your must-have purse for casual and going out looks.
The printable pdf is available for immediate download on my Etsy shop. Here is Luna circle purse sewing pattern to add to your DIY bag collection.
If you have heavy duty utility duck canvas fabric made from 100% cotton, it is going to be the perfect material to make a durable bag.
If you love the shape of Luna circle purse, the options are endless to customize any Fashion Wanderer sewing pattern. In this case, you can easily convert the strap into adjustable strap or make it into two handle straps to hand carry instead of using the shoulder strap. Also, add fun lining fabric for a clean finish to the interior of the bag.
Luna Circle Purse Sewing Pattern
You will love this DIY Luna circle purse sewing pattern because…
- Only take 1 to 2 hours to make!
- Super easy to assemble the pdf sewing pattern and just follow along the cutlines.
- No body measurements needed to find the right size that fits you.
- The purse sewing pattern comes with video instructions and step-by-step tutorial photos that are easy to follow.
- Perfect for beginner level to learn how to sew zipper and add eyelet trim.
For this Luna circle purse tutorial, the bag pattern works best with a medium to heavy weight woven material. You may chose any color or print, and also add lining if you would like. Simply copy the circle pattern to easily make the lining.
The best part of using duck canvas fabric is that the width of most cotton fabric is 60” wide, which you will only need less than ½ yard to accomplish this bag making project.
If you are intimidated by sewing using pattern, try this beginner level bag making project to fuel your confidence level. Straight stitch and zigzag stitch is all you need, and adding the metal eyelet will give a store-bought bag quality.
How do you make a Luna circle purse?
Whether you are new to sewing or simply need cute purse to add to your DIY wardrobe, this tutorial will be perfect for you. First, decide what material you will want to proceed with and wash, dry, or press beforehand. It’s an easy routine to get you prepared to start the sewing journey!
DIY Luna Circle Purse Materials:
- Circle Purse Sewing Pattern
- ½ yard of medium to heavy cotton duck canvas fabric.
- 2 pieces of Size 10 Gunmetal Grommets
- 9” long Zipper
- Sewing Machine
To make a Luna circle purse, start by assembling the pattern pieces.
Zigzag stitch around the purse pocket and side purse pieces.
Attach the purse pocket to the side purse pieces.
Zigzag stitch around the zipper plackets and bottom piece.
Attach the zipper to the zipper placket.
Attach the grommets to the bottom piece.
Join the zipper placket to the bottom purse piece.
Join the side purse pieces to the bottom purse piece with the right sides facing together.
Make the shoulder strap, insert the ends of shoulder strap through the grommets and tie a knot on both sides to finish the DIY circle purse.
DIY Luna Circle Purse Sewing Tips:
While you are printing and studying through the Luna circle purse tutorial, you will learn techniques to add a zipper to the top opening of the DIY purse. As you start copying the pattern on the fabric and gathering all your sewing tools, here are sewing tips to help you smoothly assemble the Luna circle purse without a mistake.
- Sewing Machine: Always adjust the sewing machine tension when using thicker thread or canvas fabric. Also, adjust the pressure on your presser foot. Heavier fabrics need less pressure than light weight fabric requires.
- Needle & Thread: Switch out the regular needle and thread when sewing heavy duty material. Go with heavy-duty thread such as size 40 made from polyester or cotton-wrapped polyester. And use a size 100/16 or 110/18 needle.
- Stitches: The average recommended stitch length is between 3 to 3.5. It makes nice long stitches that are easier to sew through multiple layers. Always test out the stitch on the scrap of fabric first before you begin sewing the pattern pieces.
- Zipper: Always change the regular foot to a zipper foot when sewing each side of the zipper tape. If you are uncertain, hand baste the zipper to the top opening so it can be centered within the seams. Once, the zipper tape is attached to the fabric, go ahead and open up the seam and edge topstitch to make a clean finish.
- Grommet: In order to install grommets, you can use an eyelet kit that comes with a setter and anvil to match the size of the grommet. You can also use mallet or hammer to evenly distribute the force of the hammering. Work on a smooth, flat surface so that the grommet sets evenly.
If you never made a bag or purse before, you will instantly fall in love with this sewing pattern. The Luna circle purse has a cute shape with plenty of room to carry your phone, wallet, keys, and many more. Simply follow the detailed steps, photos and how-to video so that you can make a couple of Lunas to complete your DIY outfit for the day.
- Sewing Machine
- Straight Pins
- For this Luna circle purse tutorial, start by assembling the pattern pieces.
- Fold a piece of duck canvas fabric in half, and pin the paper pattern to the fabric.
Also pin around the edges so that the two layers of fabric remain taught.
Copy the side purse pieces,
purse pocket pieces
and the zipper plackets.
- Fold another piece of duck canvas fabric in half, pin to secure and copy the shoulder strap using the folded edge to double the length.
- Lastly, make one bottom piece for the circle purse.
- To make the purse pocket pieces, zigzag stitch along the top edge for a clean finish.
- To attach the purse pocket to the side purse pieces, line up the two pieces.
Fold over the top edge of the purse pocket pieces.
Pin to secure and sew around the edge of the side pieces.
- To prepare the bottom and top pieces of the purse, zigzag stitch along the sides of the zipper plackets and the bottom piece for a clean finish.
- To attach the zipper to the zipper placket, sandwich one side of the zipper in between two placket pieces.
Straight stitch along the edge.
Open the seam and topstitch along the seam line for a clean finish.
- Repeat the process on the other side and sandwich the zipper in between two placket pieces.
- To attach the grommets to the bottom piece, measure 2” from both sides of the bottom purse piece.
Use scissors to snip the center hole
Position the grommet and use a mallet to secure in place.
- To attach the zipper placket to the bottom purse piece, pin along the edges and straight stitch to join the pieces together.
Open the seam and topstitch for a clean finish.
- To attach the side purse pieces to the bottom purse piece, fold the pieces in half to mark the center placement.
Line up the center of the side piece with the center of the bottom piece.
Pin to secure, and zigzag stitch around the edge of the purse with the right sides facing together.
- Flip the circle purse inside out.
- To make the shoulder strap, ⅛” fold both sides and then fold the strap in half lengthwise.
Edge topstitch both sides of the shoulder strap for a clean finish.
- To finish the DIY circle purse, insert the ends of shoulder strap through the grommets and tie a knot on both sides.