Do you have a casual dress that you can wear anytime as a date night outfit or also as a mid length dress for work? This DIY silk slip dress is a classic wardrobe essential and will be your new favorite little black dress that you will want to add to your capsule wardrobe.
It’s not easy to put together an outfit that you can wear as casual work attire and can still go out in the evening as a date night outfit.
I’m sure many of you have at least one black dress in your closet. But, do you have difficulty deciding what to wear with your black dress and also how to wear your silk slip dress?
You don’t want to look like you are wearing a nightgown, right?
Check out these 3 brilliant ways to wear your DIY tie shoulder silk slip dress with side slits:
Table of Contents
How To Wear A Silk Slip Dress To Work
Wearing a DIY silk slip dress at work sounds a bit too revealing to your co-workers. But, pairing it with a well-structured blazer will give you a polished and sharp professional look and is precisely how to wear a silk slip dress to work.
On casual Fridays, you can either wear a button-down white shirt or a mock neck knit top under your DIY silk slip dress to resemble a classic style. Share any thoughts with me and your favorite styles for how to wear a silk slip dress to work!
How To Wear A Silk Slip Dress In The Daytime
Either on weekends or also your day off, you can wear a DIY silk slip dress casually and still look chic. These are great ways for how to wear a silk slip dress in the daytime.
Pair with a simple white t-shirt underneath the dress during the spring and summer. Even wear an oversized red sweater or a cozy cardigan over your DIY silk slip dress during the fall and winter season.
How To Wear A Silk Slip Dress As A Date Night Outfit
If you are going to a summertime outdoors music festival or even a movie in the park, you can wear a DIY silk slip dress as a casual date night outfit with a plaid shirt tied around your waist.
My favorite occasion for wearing a silk slip dress is as a date night outfit. These styles are perfect for how to wear a silk slip dress as a date night outfit.
For a fancy dinnertime date night outfit, wear a chic leather moto jacket to impress your date and keep their attention focused on you.
This DIY silk slip dress with a tie shoulder and side slits is a traditional staple. You can easily wear it everyday, and for every occasion, without looking like you just woke up and rolled out of bed.
Use these simple sewing tips and tricks. You can also easily make this DIY silk slip dress with side slits at home. Let’s get started!
How To Make A DIY Silk Slip Dress
For this how to make a DIY silk slip dress tutorial, I skip using a traditional sewing pattern. Instead, I copy my favorite knit cami top as a sizing reference.
It’s easy to copy your favorite cami top. This saves you the time to take measurements and have to worry about any sizing issues. This is an easy way how to make a silk slip dress.
Instead, take the items from your wardrobe that fit you the best, and use them as a sizing reference.
DIY Slip Dress Materials:
Any Cami Top for your reference
2 1/2” Black Washed Silk Fabric
White Fabric Chalk
How To Copy Your Favorite Cami Top
- Before starting, iron the fabric so there are no creases. Fold the silk fabric in half and lay it flat.
- Next, fold the cami top in half and lay on top of your silk fabric.
- Since the cami top that I’m using is knit fabric, I need to slightly increase the measurements to adjust for using woven fabric.
For Chest: I’ll increase 1/2” for each side on both the front and back pieces, for a total of 2” increase. Along each side I’ll increase 1/2” + an extra 1/2” for the seam allowance. Mark all measurement on the silk with fabric chalk.
How To Make A Dress Using your Favorite Cami Top
- Measure from the top of side seam 39” down to make your midi length DIY silk slip dress. Make a little mark. Add an addition 1 1/4” to the hemline so that you can make a clean finished hem. Mark the hemline including the seam allowance.
- From the corner of the 39” hem line mark and the folded center front, measure 21” away to create your hem opening measurement. Mark with chalk.
- Then, with a long ruler, connect the chest to the hemline with a straight line and add 1/2” for seam allowance. Since, I’m making side slits for both sides, I’ll make an additional mark 10” up from the hemline.
- For the neckline, you can copy the same neckline as your cami top, or you can make a deep v-neck or even a round neckline. For this tutorial, I’m going to add tie shoulder straps so I’m giving 1/4” opening and also including a 1/4” seam allowance along the neckline and armhole.
- Cut along the chalk mark to make your front pattern piece.
- Next, we are going to make the back piece. For this DIY silk slip dress, simply copy the side seams and hemline exactly the same as front piece. The neckline will be slightly different and is straight across. Be sure you mark where you will attach the tie shoulder straps with fabric chalk.
- In addition, we are going to make facing for the front and back pieces. Copy the front and back pieces with the front piece being 8” long and back piece only 5” long.
- For the tie shoulder straps, cut 4 pieces that are 1” wide and 24” long. These will become your bias cut spaghetti straps.
How To Sew A DIY Silk Slip Dress
Now its time to assemble your DIY silk slip dress. How to sew a DIY silk slip dress requires adding the important finishing touches!
- First, fold the 1” width strap in half and sew with 1/4” seam allowance. Trim the seam allowance in half so it will help you to flip the spaghetti strap inside out smoothly using a loop turner.
- Next, lets assemble the tie shoulder spaghetti straps. Lay out one strap for each shoulder and place it in between the front piece and the front facing. Then, secure the straps in place with pins before you sew. Sew 1/4” along the armhole and neckline only.
- You will do the same thing for the back piece. Lay out one strap for each shoulder and place it in between the back piece and the back facing. Then, secure the straps in place with pins before you sew. Sew 1/4” along the top of the dress only.
- Now we will complete the side stitches. Flip both the front piece and the back piece inside out. Place the right side of front dress piece and right side of back dress piece together facing each other. Then, sew the side seams together using the 1/2” seam allowance and stop at the side slit chalk mark.
- On both sides where the side slit goes, you want to iron the side seam open all the way to the hemline.
- Top stitch over the slit about 1/4” and stop at the hemline.
- Lastly, fold the hem 1 1/4” and then top stitch 1” across front and back hemline.
- Flip the dress inside out and adjust the tie strap on the shoulder by making a bow.
Silk Care Instructions And Silk Cleaning Tips
Silk care instructions and silk cleaning tips are essential if you want your silk slip dress to remain in a like new condition.
To care for your silk dress sounds like a nightmare and that you have to run to dry cleaner every time you wear it out! But, there are easy ways to wash your silk at home even though all silk care labels says dry clean only.
Follow these essential silk care instructions and silk cleaning tips so that you can remove any unwanted stains without having to go to the dry cleaners.
With this simple and easy sewing tutorial, you learned how to make your own DIY silk slip dress with side slits. You can wear this dress anytime as a date night outfit or also as a mid length dress for work.
Hope you enjoyed this tutorial! Share your cute DIY silk slip dress with me at Instagram #MakeWithFashionWanderer!
What is your favorite way to wear your DIY silk slip dress?
Leave a comment and share with us!