When it comes to cutting up a t-shirt, a tank top is fairly straightforward to execute. This tutorial details how to transform a t-shirt into a back slit tank top. Follow along for set-by-step instructions that demonstrate each phase of the project.
This t-shirt reconstruction features a back opening that is held together by knotting both ends of the shirt. In addition, the back overlap adds cute detail to the neckline.
Table of Contents
More DIY Fashion Inspiration
If you are searching for upcycle clothing, then you have come to the right place. DIY fashion is a huge part of my wardrobe collection. This t-shirt into back slit tank top adds a personalized twist to a workout outfit or casual look.
Turn old clothes into new looks and give yourself more cute outfit options to choose from. Utilize these t-shirt upcycle ideas to inspire you with DIY fashion creativity.
With just a few minutes, you are able to duplicate this easy no sew project. Find a fun new looks to wear when you refashion a t-shirt into a back slit tank top.
- T-shirt (I recommend using an oversized t-shirt with a wide neckline)
- Fabric Glue
- Fabric Chalk
- Measuring Tape
- First of all, measure 1” down under the sleeve and mark with chalk. In addition, measure ½” along the shoulder seam and again mark with chalk
- Next, draw the new armhole with fabric chalk.
Pro tip: I recommend drawing a smooth curve following the sleeve line.
- Then, cut along the chalk line to make the new arm holes.
- Now, lay the sleeveless shirt flat and fold the shirt in half
- When cutting make sure you only cut through the back piece and not the front piece.
- From the back center neckline, measure 1” across and glue. Then, overlap with the back piece and secure it in place.
- When the glue is completely dried, try on your DIY no sew t-shirt refashion and tie a bow in the back.
I recommend using an oversized t-shirt that has modal ingredients. The fabric will feel lightweight and also keep you airy during a hard workout.
This upcycle is an easy no sew t-shirt to tank top that keeps your workout gear looking stylish. Experiment with the fun ways to cut a shirt.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.